Cooking

Gemmill

In other news, I bought that Jerusalem cookbook yesterday after flicking through it in Tesco. Some of the stuff in it looks amazing.

Getting into Kosher food there Gemmill?

I've started a complete lifestyle change beginning today. No more going out and getting paraguayed. No caffeine. No more meat (chicken, fish, pork, lamb or beef). No more dairy. Cutting salt out almost entirely.

Tonight I've had a hearty veg soup - Mexican style.

2 tblsp olive oil

1 onion chopped

2 stalks celery chopped

1/4 butternut squash chopped

3 washed desire potatoes chopped

1 tin kidney beans

1 tin chopped tomatoes

3 cloves garlic

3 teaspoons mexican spice

4 teaspoons smoked paprika

2 cups veg stock (homemade - salt free)

Not sure how long this will last, but I know my liver needs a break, and my cholesterol level needs lowering. I will aim for 1 month of this kind of clean diet and go from there.

The soup was surprisingly nice and I felt satisfied afterwards. Wholemeal bread rolls (no butter) to wipe up the bowl.

It's a River Cottage job. Will send you the recipe of the one I'm doing later if you like. Rather than you try to approximate it using fish fingers and a packet of Angel Delight. ;)

In other news, I bought that Jerusalem cookbook yesterday after flicking through it in Tesco. Some of the stuff in it looks amazing.

Thanks but no need as its replicated many times in google.

This one?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Jerusalem-Yotam-Ottolenghi/dp/0091943744/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1360923489&sr=8-1

Also what River Cottage cookbook do you have? As some of the recipes you've posted up on here look really nice.

Aye that's the one. If you Google "the new vegetarian guardian", he did a whole series for the Guardian which was later turned into his book "Plenty", but all 200 or so recipes are still on the website for free. He's not actually a vegetarian though - the Jerusalem book has meat dishes in it - but that'll give you an idea of what sort of stuff is in Jerusalem.

Re River Cottage it's the River Cottage Veg Everyday book. Lots of really nice stuff in it.

Getting into Kosher food there Gemmill?

I've started a complete lifestyle change beginning today. No more going out and getting paraguayed. No caffeine. No more meat (chicken, fish, pork, lamb or beef). No more dairy. Cutting salt out almost entirely.

Tonight I've had a hearty veg soup - Mexican style.

2 tblsp olive oil

1 onion chopped

2 stalks celery chopped

1/4 butternut squash chopped

3 washed desire potatoes chopped

1 tin kidney beans

1 tin chopped tomatoes

3 cloves garlic

3 teaspoons mexican spice

4 teaspoons smoked paprika

2 cups veg stock (homemade - salt free)

Not sure how long this will last, but I know my liver needs a break, and my cholesterol level needs lowering. I will aim for 1 month of this kind of clean diet and go from there.

The soup was surprisingly nice and I felt satisfied afterwards. Wholemeal bread rolls (no butter) to wipe up the bowl.

Ken I'm kind of similar. Basically I know that eating a more veg based diet and less meat has to be good for me, but I need to find more interesting stuff to do with it. Eating steamed veg gets boring canny quickly.

I'm not fussed about kosher or anything, it's just some of the soups and grain salad type dishes in this book look great, and fit the bill as far as making healthy veg-filled food interesting.

Ken I'm kind of similar. Basically I know that eating a more veg based diet and less meat has to be good for me, but I need to find more interesting stuff to do with it. Eating steamed veg gets boring canny quickly.

I'm not fussed about kosher or anything, it's just some of the soups and grain salad type dishes in this book look great, and fit the bill as far as making healthy veg-filled food interesting.

I know you are. I've noticed through some of your posts I've read that you've have some kind of epithany which happened after Christmas. Fair play, you've lasted nearly two months man!

Many feeble minded people can't go a week. The secret is what satisfies one's appetite. I'm new to this. My plan of attack is going hard on beans and mushrooms and being very liberal on spices. Starchy stuff like potatoes and rice too, I live close to Asian groceries stores and will eat Kim Chee that I like (Korean vegetable condiment) which goes well with rice. Quinoa and tofu are high up on the list of things to eat down the track as well.

I am pretty serious about this - this is more than a shitty fad. I will try and update my progress as often as possible as well as my diet so you may garner ideas and vice versa.

Mince beef (from the local independent farm shop's butcher - less horsey that way, Fist ;)), paprika, salt, pepper, 1 egg, flour. Bit of smoked paprika, garlic powder and chilli flakes as well for the burger above.

Eyeballed the ingredients and then let the mixture sit in the fridge for a 1/2 hour before forming burgers. Sometimes I use a bit of oil instead of the egg.

Fried it in some roasted tomato vegetable oil too.

Does the flour help to bind it? I know the egg does.

I've been using the Jamie Oliver recipe of mince, a cream cracker per 'patty' and salt, pepper, parsley. I also add smoked paprika myself. Thinking of adding the garlic powder as well. Let me know about the flour, if you don't mind. Or if anyone here has tried to make both versions and can weigh in?

--

Anyway, going to try and make a tagine this weekend with beef. I've not cooked beef shin before, so I might try and use that.

Also, the kids made me cookies with coconut flower and dark chocolate. No carbs in theflour and gluten free. Really tasty, but they had a bit of a cake texture to them. I might try and experiment a few things with the coconut flour.

I know you are. I've noticed through some of your posts I've read that you've have some kind of epithany which happened after Christmas. Fair play, you've lasted nearly two months man!

Many feeble minded people can't go a week. The secret is what satisfies one's appetite. I'm new to this. My plan of attack is going hard on beans and mushrooms and being very liberal on spices. Starchy stuff like potatoes and rice too, I live close to Asian groceries stores and will eat Kim Chee that I like (Korean vegetable condiment) which goes well with rice. Quinoa and tofu are high up on the list of things to eat down the track as well.

I am pretty serious about this - this is more than a shitty fad. I will try and update my progress as often as possible as well as my diet so you may garner ideas and vice versa.

Kim Chee is class. I've got canny into quinoa, couscous and all that carry on.

Nice one on posting how you're getting on, it'll wind J69 up no end as well with his KFC buckets. :lol:

Might be worth having a look here. Some of the stuff looks class.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/series/thenewvegetarian

Kim Chee is class. I've got canny into quinoa, couscous and all that carry on.

Nice one on posting how you're getting on, it'll wind J69 up no end as well with his KFC buckets. :lol:

Might be worth having a look here. Some of the stuff looks class.

http://www.guardian....henewvegetarian

Cheers for the link

Finished the last two bottles of red I had in the house tonight to go with the soup (good excuse for it) and side salad, I am usually out in a pub right now filling my tank up, being a Friday. Tonight I'm drunk but thinking healthy - how funny is that?!?

I bought 24 bottles of Santa Vittoria today to replace the beer and wine. Not only am I giving the alcohol up but also the coke and other gassy drink. Hope I don't suffer from any serious withdrawal . :lol:

Does the flour help to bind it? I know the egg does.

I've been using the Jamie Oliver recipe of mince, a cream cracker per 'patty' and salt, pepper, parsley. I also add smoked paprika myself. Thinking of adding the garlic powder as well. Let me know about the flour, if you don't mind. Or if anyone here has tried to make both versions and can weigh in?

Yes - I use it as an alternative to breadcrumbs/crackers. You don't need very much so I add it last. If you put too much in you'll get some sort of weird meat dough.

You could use cous cous as a binder instead of crackers as well. Haven't tried it in a burger but it's great when I make lamb koftas.

The best beefburger I've ever tasted came from Kielder Organic Meats. The woman on the stall wouldn't tell me what they seasoned them with, despite my protests.

They're simple, seasoned minced beef with nowt else added, but they've got them bang on. I think they charge about £1.20 per burger - worth every penny.

I've tried to recreate them using salt, black pepper, onion powder, garlic powder and a very small amount of paprika. Close but not quite there yet.

I remember watching some TV chef bloke (possibly Heston Blumenthal but I might be wrong) make burgers. He said that the best way to bind the meat is to use salt and chill them in the shape you want them. I've pretty much religiously stuck to that methodology ever since and it's never failed.

Tried to make Trophyshys Asian soup again but this time leaving out the chicken stock. Not for me Im afraid. Just tasted like Garlic water! (Not sure how much taste its meant to have? Anyway, I quickly reached for the knorr chicken stock and rescued it ;)

I have now created and patented Boldon Asian soup.

600 mls boiling water

1 knorr chicken stock cube

1 clove of garlic sliced or crushed

1 tsp of ginger

Little shake of five spices (¼ tsp)

Little squirt tomato puree (½ dessert spoon)

1 bag of Birds eye veg

½ bag of basmati

1 ½ handfuls of pasta

½ tsp of chilli puree / paste

Salt and Pepper to taste

Deeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeelicious :)

Edited by Christmas Tree

Tried to make Trophyshys Asian soup again but this time leaving out the chicken stock. Not for me Im afraid. Just tasted like Garlic water! (Not sure how much taste its meant to have? Anyway, I quickly reached for the knorr chicken stock and rescued it ;)

600 mls boiling water

1 tsp of ginger

1 bag of salad

½ bag of basmati

1 ½ handfuls of pasta

Salt and Pepper to taste

Does the bag of salad go in the soup?

But joking aside, that looks canny. You should try getting hold of some galangal to use instead of the ginger. It's very similar to ginger, except a little bit more peppery and aromatic. Goes beautifully in Thai (ish) soups and won't kick up a fuss that you've whacked a handful of pasta in either.

Have a look in one of the Chinese supermarkets in town - they're great. The big bags of frozen tiger prawns are brilliant too, as are the frozen clams.

Yes - I use it as an alternative to breadcrumbs/crackers. You don't need very much so I add it last. If you put too much in you'll get some sort of weird meat dough.

You could use cous cous as a binder instead of crackers as well. Haven't tried it in a burger but it's great when I make lamb koftas.

Trying to make it with minimal amount of carbs. Might just try egg with seasoning and see how I get on.

If it works, I'm off to Jamie Olivers restaurant on Sunday, and I'll tell him to shove his crackers up his arse.

Trying to make it with minimal amount of carbs. Might just try egg with seasoning and see how I get on.

If it works, I'm off to Jamie Olivers restaurant on Sunday, and I'll tell him to shove his crackers up his arse.

Try it without any egg - just do it properly with meat and seasoning, chill it in burger shapes for a bit then whack on the grill.

600 mls boiling water

1 tsp of ginger

1 bag of Birds eye veg

½ bag of basmati

1 ½ handfuls of pasta

Salt and Pepper to taste

The idea behind patents is to stop anyone from stealing your original idea.

Rest easy cowboy.