Cooking

Gemmill

Do the mascarpone and mushroom one. It's great.

I liked the sound of that when you mentioned it the other day.

not her best work. i'm more of a fan of the snail and the whale and tiddler myself.

The Snail and the Whale and Tabby McTat are on their way from Amazon. Stick Man is a bit freaky and we've done the Gruffalo and his child to death. Think we've got Zog too but never really got into it.

I liked the sound of that when you mentioned it the other day.

The Snail and the Whale and Tabby McTat are on their way from Amazon. Stick Man is a bit freaky and we've done the Gruffalo and his child to death. Think we've got Zog too but never really got into it.

tabby mctat is a good one. not a massive fan of zog.

jack and the flum flum tree is good, if a bit bizarre.

Just popped into Asda to get a few things Id forgot to order when a can of batchelors marrow fat peas caught my eye.

I used to love these when I was younger but because our lass hates peas I never get them. Grabbed an armful and just had a can with my beef stew.

Bloody lovely.

Let this be a warning to you all to watch out for spouses weening you off stuff you like.

All the peas Ive missed :(

While we're talking peas, here's a simple Meenzer household favourite since I was a nipper:

Fry a chopped onion in a little oil for 5 minutes. Add a cubed Mattessons sausage and fry for a further 5 minutes. Add a teaspoon of paprika, a crumbled beef stock cube, 2 tablespoons of tomato puree, two bay leaves and 200-300ml of water. Mix well and let it simmer away for 15 minutes until thickened, adding 200g or so of frozen petits pois about 5 minutes before the end (and a splash or two of water if it looks like drying up completely). Discard the bay leaves then stir into the pasta or noodles you've prepared in the meantime. And don't forget plenty of grated cheese. Lovely jubbly.

That is going to be attempted! I'm a huge fan of comfort food. :D

(Edit - the peas and sausage pasta recipe)

Sort of reminds me of a great restaurant in Amsterdam called Moeders - the theme as you may glean is 'mothers'. Wall to wall photos of people's mums that punters bring in and a menu that's nowt but family recipes passed on. I had a meatball stew with sauerkraut and mash which was grand.

That is going to be attempted! I'm a huge fan of comfort food. :D

(Edit - the peas and sausage pasta recipe)

That's exactly what it is, comfort food to the max. It's a funny one with Mattessons, most of their products are bloody awful - Fridge Raiders ffs - but the smoked sausage is spot on and hugely versatile when it comes to dishes like this.

The reduced fat version works too, you might have to add a drop more olive oil at the frying phase but that's probably preferable to pig fat, so hey.