Cooking

Gemmill

Chilli tonight. Basically everything but the kitchen sink as they say:

Beef mince

Red Onion

Red & green peppers

1 tsp Chilli powder

2 tsp Chilli flakes

1 tsp Garlic powder and 2 cloves of garlic (why not?)

1 tsp Cadbury's Bourneville chocolate powder

1 tsp nutmeg

1 tsp onion salt

1 tsp muscovado sugar

1/2 tsp black pepper

50ml Dia de las Muertas (tequila-based hot sauce)

200ml beef stock

1 can chopped tomatoes

1 can kidney beans

1 can brown chickpeas

1 desert spoon red onion chutney

1 desert spoon ketchup

1 desert spoon mustard

Gave it the good 2 and a half hours and grated a bit of cheddar on top to finish. Enough leftover to have for tea on wednesday providing I stop grazing. :D

Seriously? :lol: There's only enough left for one more meal?! You piggy ;)

I made one last night. It actually wasn't great. Don't think I put enough veg in but didn't have any more in the house. Dead low calorie though, which is what's needed at the minute.

Aye it's crap when a soup turns out shit.

My two for this week are Nigellas sunshine soup (delicious) and CT's chicken and sweetcorn (fabulous baby).

I made one last night. It actually wasn't great. Don't think I put enough veg in but didn't have any more in the house. Dead low calorie though, which is what's needed at the minute.

Make sure you don't cut your protein though mate or you'll burn muscle as well as or instead of fat

I haven't lifted a weight for months! I'm obviously naturally nails ( :razz: ) but nobody would mistake me for anyone who bothers much with weights at the minute.

But soon....!

Anyway I reckon the protein thing is a bit of a myth encouraged by the supplement industry. I'm sure you need a bit more, but I bet these people who are wolfing down shakes every five minutes and 6 chicken breasts a day are shitting loads of it out.

Aye it's crap when a soup turns out shit.

My two for this week are Nigellas sunshine soup (delicious) and CT's chicken and sweetcorn (fabulous baby).

I'm gonna stick some cooked chicken into this one tonight and liquidise it. Fingers crossed.

Might try some Nigella soups.

Yeah once I worked out what labels to look for in the supermarket to make sure I'm not supporting horrific farming practices, I got back in the game. Free range and organic all the way.

Expensive business mind. 4 quid for 6 rashers of bacon!

Any farmers' market type things within striking distance? They can still be expensive but cutting out the middleman can often knock a bit off the price, and you get to try before you buy and all. There's a risk of getting dragged into long and tedious conversations about cheese production techniques, mind.

Aye there's a few up Northumberland way. Might be worth looking into - I always feel like they're dead expensive, but given the prices now I'm only buying organic, they might end up being cheaper at a farm shop. Good idea, cheers.

Any farmers' market type things within striking distance? They can still be expensive but cutting out the middleman can often knock a bit off the price, and you get to try before you buy and all. There's a risk of getting dragged into long and tedious conversations about cheese production techniques, mind.

there's a small but nice one by peckham pulse worth checking out. i don't think that's far from you...

there's a small but nice one by peckham pulse worth checking out. i don't think that's far from you...

Not too far in the grand scheme of things, indeed, so ta for that. :good: And http://www.brockleymarket.com/ is even closer to home (though it can be hard to cope with the picturesque beauty of its location in the Lewisham College car park).

Aye there's a few up Northumberland way. Might be worth looking into - I always feel like they're dead expensive, but given the prices now I'm only buying organic, they might end up being cheaper at a farm shop. Good idea, cheers.

Just a thought, isn't Wacky a bit of a market gardener?

No doubt he'd do you a deal on a root vegetable and some string beans, just watch out for anything that looks like a plaster's radio.

Not too far in the grand scheme of things, indeed, so ta for that. :good: And http://www.brockleymarket.com/ is even closer to home (though it can be hard to cope with the picturesque beauty of its location in the Lewisham College car park).

the peckham one's no oil painting either, being situated right on the peckham high street. nice frsh bread, meats and cheese though. though it is quite small - 4 or 5 stalls at most. usually go there after i've taken the bairn swimming or to the soft play

Just bought myself Nigellisima. Was looking forward to a browse through it but I've ended up reading Room on the Broom instead..

not her best work. i'm more of a fan of the snail and the whale and tiddler myself.

the peckham one's no oil painting either, being situated right on the peckham high street. nice frsh bread, meats and cheese though. though it is quite small - 4 or 5 stalls at most. usually go there after i've taken the bairn swimming or to the soft play

The Clapham one is ok, it's a bit small and therefore limited, but it's a nice way to spend a Saturday morning. Picking bits and pieces up for the Sunday's hangover cure.