Cooking

Gemmill

This recipe calls for celery leaves! Can you buy celery with leaves on?

Also quite a few of the recipes call for dry white wine. Is it a case of the better the wine the better the recipe will turn out?

If so, what's a good dry white wine (that I could get at a local supermarket).

You could get a nice Chablis for under a tenner. Half a bottle for your dish, the rest for you. Bonus

Edited by Dr Gloom

Lamb chops Jamie Oliver style. No wine though as running later :(

Boo, that's rubbish. I've had Tia Maria in my coffee and have my first glass of white poured.

I think my parents might be borderline alcoholics..

This is mental like, I mention the book in passing then head to Newcastle for a quick trip and in that time you've tracked it down, tried half the recipes and even found it a dedicated shelf. Magnificent devotion to the cause. :D

This is mental like, I mention the book in passing then head to Newcastle for a quick trip and in that time you've tracked it down, tried half the recipes and even found it a dedicated shelf. Magnificent devotion to the cause. :D

I havent got a hobby at the moment. :lol:

Also made the cinnamon biscuits (our lass did actually) alright but too much like those small foreign biscuits you get with coffee.

So thats 3 down, 1497 to go. :)

Also made the cinnamon biscuits (our lass did actually) alright but too much like those small foreign biscuits you get with coffee.

Biscotti? Classic biscotti? :lol:

Thought I'd dip my toe into the Silver Spoon with an unfuckable-uppable classic, namely spaghetti carbonara. Worked a treat, simple as you like and not too creamy and rich. Better quality pancetta than what Lewisham Sainsbury's has to offer would have helped, too - there's an Italian deli opposite the shopping centre that I really must get to know.

Obviously greater challenges lie ahead on the aforementioned 1500 pages, but at least it seems to have the basics right. :D

Chilli tonight. Basically everything but the kitchen sink as they say:

Beef mince

Red Onion

Red & green peppers

1 tsp Chilli powder

2 tsp Chilli flakes

1 tsp Garlic powder and 2 cloves of garlic (why not?)

1 tsp Cadbury's Bourneville chocolate powder

1 tsp nutmeg

1 tsp onion salt

1 tsp muscovado sugar

1/2 tsp black pepper

50ml Dia de las Muertas (tequila-based hot sauce)

200ml beef stock

1 can chopped tomatoes

1 can kidney beans

1 can brown chickpeas

1 desert spoon red onion chutney

1 desert spoon ketchup

1 desert spoon mustard

Gave it the good 2 and a half hours and grated a bit of cheddar on top to finish. Enough leftover to have for tea on wednesday providing I stop grazing. :D