Cooking

Gemmill

The Nigella book should appeal to you CT, cos everything in it it's a piece of piss to make and very tasty (all the pastas can be made in the time it takes to cook the pasta, the mascarpone and mushroom one is really nice).

What difference does it make how authentic Italian it is? This time last year, you thought Dolmio was the fucking quintessential taste of Italy ffs. ;)

I'll definitely try some of her stuff, just that 60 or 70 year old silver spoon book sounds very tempting. Even that soup on the link I posted looks lush.

It's supposed to be a standard wedding present in Italy or something like that. Basically every home has a copy (of the Italian version). I'm sure it's great, but I bet it's much harder work than Nigella.

Try that mascarpone and mushroom one. I sourced all the ingredients from Boldon Asda, including the died porcini and Marsala!

Just made this for tea and it was lush:

Two cod fillets

4 potatoes

Large handful of kale

Green beans

2 tsp chopped capers

2 tsp minced green olives

1 clove chopped garlic

2 tsp chopped fresh basil

pinch of salt and pepper

pinch of paprika

1 tsp lime juice per fillet

25g butter

10 cherry tomatoes

Boil potatoes for 10 mins in salted water. Drain and then sautee over a high heat until browned nicely on all sides. Season with a bit of salt and paprika (because everything tastes better with paprika). Give it 15-20 mins.

Whilst that's doing, place a tsp of oil in a baking tray. Place the fillets in, cover with the capers, olives, garlic, basil. Drizzle each with lime juice then season with salt, pepper and paprika (always better with paprika). Cover this with foil and then bake for 15 mins at 150 (fan oven). Fish should come out perfectly.

Halve the tomatoes and hoy them in the oven. Could put them in with the fish if you wanted but I didn't want a tomatoey sauce.

Steam the greens. Or boil them. I steam mine for 10 mins and they come out nice and tender without being done to buggery.

Make a quick sauce by pouring the juice from the fish into a pan. Add the butter and melt. Nice and tangy but not so much as to overwhelm the fish.

:thumbup:

Aye, likewise. There's a decent fishmonger locally too, I'm just a bit squeamish about the preparation. :lol:

Just get the fishmonger to do the messy bit!

I did salmon last night. Coated it in piment espelette which is a a basque mild chilli then grilled it. Served it with fried shallots, ginger and carrot which I added a splash of soy and honey to at the end. Simple rice with a salad of spinach and mache tossed in walnut oil and balsamic. Worked well as it wasn't planned.

Doing cheese on toast for dinner today. I don't often buy cheese but my mam got me some for Christmas and I feel I should at least make a basic meal out of it instead of just hacking it into chunks and grazing on it over the course of the day.

Could be the most effective diet plan yet!

Having just bought double cream and butter as part of tonight's recipe, I very much doubt !

Chicken Curry (Pollo al Curry)

FROM THE SILVER SPOON (ENGLISH VERSION)

2 tbsp butter

1 chicken cut into pieces

2 tbsp curry powder

2 onions, chopped

2 apples, cored, peeled and chopped

2 tbsp heavy cream

salt and pepper

boiled rice or pilaf to serve

Melt the butter is a pan, add the chicken and cook, turning frequently, until very lightly browned, then season with salt and pepper. Stir he curry powder into 2/3 cup of hot water and add to the pan. Add the onions and the apples, cover and cook over low heat for 35 minutes, adding a little hot water during cooking if necessary. Pour in the cream and cook for another 10 minutes. Serve with boiled rice or pilaf.

Bit that through me is "chicken, cut into pieces".

Wasn't quite sure whether that meant a whole chicken cut into wings, breasts and legs on the bone or whether a few fillets chopped into "usual" curry chunks was the way to go.

Have my first attempt at a lamb bhuna stewing away.

Marinaded lamb shoulder in olive oil, cardamom, cinnamon, ground clove, paprika, cayenne pepper and a couple of other bits for 6 hours in the fridge.

Grated a white onion, 4garlic cloves and 3 chillis into a large pot and sweated down before adding the lamb, ferungreek, tomatoes and stock. For 3hours.