Cooking

Gemmill

I had a lamb saag but asked them to make it hot rather than medium.

I've had to hitch my dressing gown up 3 times today ffs. :lol:

:lol: Lamb saag's what I invariably have at Bravado Dave's Free Poppadom Emporium, but always nice and medium as it comes, there's enough dodgy real ale consumed to ensure frequent dressing gown pursuits the next day.

Anyone ever done any cooking with Filo pastry?

Ie making own duck / spring rolls / party food etc.

Fancy a spot of baking over Xmas other than the normal sausage rolls / quiche etc.

Have one recipe for a lemon drizzle cake but fancy something Filo ish.

Got quite a few bits of the M&S party food last year and found it very poor.

I've only used filo when doing Spanakopita.

Pretty easy, just a mix of spinach (wilt it, squeeze out the moisture and chop it up), feta cheese and onion (bit of nutmeg goes well too). Hoy it inbetween 3 sheets of filo either side and bake it until it's golden. Better with pine nuts sprinkled on top too. Can cut it into little squares and have it as nibbles.

Andy Bates did cracking chorizo sausage rolls on food network t'other day. Just putting chorizo and rosemary inbetween some puff pastry sheets and baking it 20 mins or so. Looked absolutely lush!

Andy Bates did cracking chorizo sausage rolls on food network t'other day. Just putting chorizo and rosemary inbetween some puff pastry sheets and baking it 20 mins or so. Looked absolutely lush!

Was thinking of the filo for things like duck and hoi sin etc.

That chorizo sausage rolls thing sounds lovely. Have to have a look for that. :)

found it

http://www.foodnetwo...sage-rolls.html

andy-chorizo-sausage-rolls.jpg

Edited by Christmas Tree

Did a small roast chicken tonight (I know turkey dinner season is imminent, but needed space in the freezer!) and among the sides, I'd forgotten how brilliant savoy cabbage is. Fried some onions, chucked in the sliced cabbage with some water and steamed it under the lid till tender, then melted some butter through the lot. Bit of sea salt and pepper, done, easy as that and dead tasty (plus it was 50p for three cabbages from Lewisham market - bargain!).

I've only used filo when doing Spanakopita.

Pretty easy, just a mix of spinach (wilt it, squeeze out the moisture and chop it up), feta cheese and onion (bit of nutmeg goes well too). Hoy it inbetween 3 sheets of filo either side and bake it until it's golden. Better with pine nuts sprinkled on top too. Can cut it into little squares and have it as nibbles.

I've done that a few times. Well nice.

Over the years there has been plenty of conjecture on this board about what is best for pizza bases.

I've always been of the opinion that Lebanese bread is best but the other day we bought some Afghan bread, similar to Lebanese but 65% wholemeal, a lot less refined and amazing if you like thin crust for your pizza.

We're also making a great pizza sauce at the moment, enough for 2 pizzas.

tsp of goat's curd/quark/fromage

tsp of tomato relish

tsp of capsicum turkish salsa (medium heat) - on 2nd though this appears to be an Australian product, so maybe a touch of chilli sauce to taste.

tsp of red pesto (non dairy version)

1/4 tsp of minced garlic

sprinkle of dried oregano

Tbsp or 2 of tomato paste (depending on the size of the bases)

tsp or 2 of caramelised onion jam

Edited by sammynb