Cooking

Gemmill

Anyone tried the Jamie Oliver recommended combo of cheddar drizzled with honey and sprinkled with crushed coffee beans? Sounds dodgy but it actually works very well.

Got bought the Jamie Oliver 15 minute meal book for my birthday. :)

And in other news, just done the food equivalent of shagging a prossy.

White bread, Lurpack butter, Fried Egg, Grated cheddar cheese.

(Followed by four squares of cadburys chocolate).

I feel satisfied but dirty!

There's a cracking curry in there. I eat the Tuna dish a canny bit (with lemon and chilli)

The Book People ( www.thebookpeople.co.uk ) are doing it for a tenner. I notice they also have '300 beers to try before you die' for a fiver which might be a canny stocking filler for any beer monsters...

Canny, ta. Will get one for me mother as well since she's always eating the same 4 meals.

A frankly heroic first effort at recreating a bit of Sri Lankan street food without the intense searing chilli pain the local takeaway insists on adding. :lol:

Followed this recipe, using double the garam masala (as I couldn't find chaat masala), frozen coriander instead of fresh, and adding a small amount of finely cubed lamb just before the tomatoes went in, which was timed well enough to cook it to a decent moistness. As for the parotta themselves, you can use any kind of roti-style flatbread really - the local Multi-Ethnic Food Shop happens to stock roti already frozen and pre-chopped, which is superbly lazy and only to be encouraged. :)

Rather like the root veg curry the other day, it comes out looking a bit like random stuff in a bowl:

sam0721n.jpg

...but the flavours are just superb, with the chilli kick (I used one small green chilli for the quantities described in the recipe, which was enough for an initally sharp then nicely smouldering heat) offset by the smokiness and near-sweetness of the spices, the curry leaves and even the onion and tomato. I am so getting laid tonightOur taste buds are very, very happy right now.

Made one of those bampy "in from the pub, what's in the cupboards?" sort of meals before and ended up with a tuna madras with wholegrain rice. Pleasantly surprised, for something that just involved stirring a few things together.

Full rack of ribs in the oven. Rubbed in my own BBQ Dry Rub (which is a secret :secret: ) and added some BBQ sauce (thanks Alex!).

Serving with sweet potato & onion rosti and some roasted vine tomatoes:

1 grated sweet potato

1 onion sliced very thinly

1 tbsp sriracha

1 tbsp BrockBQ Dry Rub

Glug of sundried tomato oil

Just fry for 10 mins until it comes away from the pan then flip over to do the other side.

Downloading Cabin in the Woods. I know nowt about it as is apparently a prerequisite; bet it's shite. Ribs won't be though!

The more expensive the better, the principle of a stir fry is to cook on a high heat, very very quickly so you want top notch beef that is best when its red in the middle (not pink, pink is over-cooked).

Best you can afford basically.

Best steak for a stir fry?

Have used fillet before but a tad pricey. Are sirloin, rump or some other able to create a similar melt in your mouth experience?

You can get away with cheaper steak if you cut it in this slices and let it 'cook' in some white wine vinegar for a couple of hours. But essentially CG is right. If I'm going for a really spicy one (with chilli oil to fry) I go for a good meat as you don't want the chilli oil in the pan too long (2min max). Fry the meat alone for 1min constantly moving it and then drop in the veg for 1 min.

I've got some strips of chicken breast marinating in vinegar, spices and crushed ginger. Grill later with lashings of lime juice and butter. Serve in pitta bread with red onion and capers. Afri cola to wash down. ;)

Edited by Park Life

A bit of help required here, if you'd be so kind.

We're going to "the inlaws" for Christmas Dinner & for some reason I volunteered to make stuffing & pigs in blankets/devil on horseback.

Do you have any easy recipes for the stuffing? Preferably one without sage in, as it's the work of the devil & can be overpowering.

Thanks.

We're going to "the inlaws" for Christmas Dinner & for some reason I volunteered to make stuffing & pigs in blankets/devil on horseback.

Do you have any easy recipes for the stuffing? Preferably one without sage in, as it's the work of the devil & can be overpowering.

Thanks.

http://www.sainsburys-live-well-for-less.co.uk/recipes-inspiration/recipes/cranberry-chestnut-stuffing-balls/

Just leave the sage out ;)

Thanks.

When you bring it to the table, just remember to ask: "Who wants stuffing?"