Cooking

Gemmill

:lol: If you've got a massive pot to mix it all in, let me know, because I think I've rather overdone the spices in this chicken/mushroom/chick pea/lentil curry I've got on the go. Somewhere in the middle the right balance lies. :sweat:

Its the last night in the digs tonight-using what's left.

Chicken ( portioned) , chorizo, red onion , butternut squash, 6 whole garlic cloves, smoked paprika, lemon, squeezed over it all then quartered and hoyed on.

Brown the chicken , then flash the chorizo , everything on a big roasting tin.

Poured the olive oil I cooked sealed the chorizo over it all, in the oven for 25-30 mins.

I'll taste it, might chuck some tarragon on for last few minutes.

Smells bloody gorgeous already.

Think I'm going to do a Sri Lankan-style curry this weekend. Basically Madras + Lime & Coconut.

There's a run of Sri Lankan shops on the main road here, including a couple of takeaways. From what I've tasted so far, they'd amend that description to "Basically Madras + Lime & Coconut + FUCKING HELLFIRE".

Got a gentle winter curry on the go. Picked up a load of carrots, swede, parsnips and butternut squash for about a quid from the local market, so they're busy filling my biggest pan to the brim as we speak :naughty:. Green lentils, peas and coriander to be added in due course. I may need a bigger freezer.

Got a gentle winter curry on the go. Picked up a load of carrots, swede, parsnips and butternut squash for about a quid from the local market, so they're busy filling my biggest pan to the brim as we speak :naughty:. Green lentils, peas and coriander to be added in due course. I may need a bigger freezer.

Delightful and comforting. :)

I'll have to remember it first, it was all a bit improvised. Or rather I can do the ingredients/method but not the specific quantities or timings, which I know you like to have (that's not meant to sound patronising but I realise it does :lol:). Will have a look around online to see if there's something that looks similar.

I'll have to remember it first, it was all a bit improvised. Or rather I can do the ingredients/method but not the specific quantities or timings, which I know you like to have (that's not meant to sound patronising but I realise it does :lol:). Will have a look around online to see if there's something that looks similar.

;) Caught out! M&S, wasnt it!

I tried to do turkey in a satay sauce tonight but it turned out too sweet from the coconut milk and I only had smooth peanut butter to hand. Based off a sweet potato, lentil and tofu casserole I make that my lass enjoys.

1 sweet pepper

1 sweet potato

2 desert spoons of peanut butter

1 onion

1 desert spoon of sriracha

1 tsp curry powder

1/2 tsp five spice

pinch salt

Served with some 5 spice jasmine rice.

I'm shit at doing Chinese food. :lol: Maybe water chestnuts as well as chunky peanut butter would give it a satisfying crunchiness? Any resident chinese food experts on here have any tips for the perfect satay sauce?

I'd definitely try it with chunky rather than smooth peanut butter, aye. Or throw in some sesame seeds and roughly crushed cashews if you want something that isn't as authentic but still has a pleasing bite to it. Never made satay at home though, because him indoors doesn't like nuts (the irony, I know).

I'd definitely try it with chunky rather than smooth peanut butter, aye. Or throw in some sesame seeds and roughly crushed cashews if you want something that isn't as authentic but still has a pleasing bite to it. Never made satay at home though, because him indoors doesn't like nuts (the irony, I know).

:lol:

Good shout with the cashew nuts. Wok on Wheels do an incredible satay sauce yknow. ;) No idea how they make it mind.

Did a nice bit of white fish tonight. Seasoned it with onion salt and paprika, then baked it with a topping of basil, capers, green olives and lime juice. Simple sauce made out of the juice left over from the fish and a knob of butter. Sauteed potatoes with sweet pepper and green beans on the side. :thumbup:

Here's Jamie's version of satay sauce, which I've tried and it was nice:

Put half a small bunch of fresh coriander, 1 fresh red chilli (de-seeded), half a clove of garlic, 3 teaspoons of crunchy peanut butter, a lug of soy sauce, a 2cm piece of peeled fresh ginger and the zest of 2 limes and the juice of 1 into a blender. Blend until you've got yourself a paste

Got bought the Jamie Oliver 15 minute meal book for my birthday. :)

And in other news, just done the food equivalent of shagging a prossy.

White bread, Lurpack butter, Fried Egg, Grated cheddar cheese.

(Followed by four squares of cadburys chocolate).

I feel satisfied but dirty!

Edited by Christmas Tree

Got bought the Jamie Oliver 15 minute meal book for my birthday. :)

And in other news, just done the food equivalent of shagging a prossy.

White bread, Lurpack butter, Fried Egg, Grated cheddar cheese.

(Followed by four squares of cadburys chocolate).

I feel satisfied but dirty!

Was that in the book, was it?

I fancy getting that book, are they on sale anywhere in the Town? The Works is usually good for its constant Closing Down sales.

Was that in the book, was it?

I fancy getting that book, are they on sale anywhere in the Town? The Works is usually good for its constant Closing Down sales.

The Book People ( www.thebookpeople.co.uk ) are doing it for a tenner. I notice they also have '300 beers to try before you die' for a fiver which might be a canny stocking filler for any beer monsters...