Cooking

Gemmill

I've got a whole rack of ribs (i've been on a diet for a week but this is a little treat. The lass is coming to stay for the weekend so i'll be cooking vegetarian...) in the over. Was going to do my awesome sweet potato rosti again but alas I didn't have a sweet potato and all of the potatoes in the fridge are minging so i've had to bin them.

So it's BBQ quinoa stepping in to the breach.

Added a pinch of cinnamon to my dry BBQ rub to see what that's like. :) These ribs look amazing...

Tell you what, we've mentioned approaches to rice cooking for Indian food before, but every time I make this dead simple Madhur Jaffrey rice and lentils as a side dish there's tons left over (even using half the quantities) because it's so substantial - the flavours are lovely and subtle, and the meatiness of the lentils (I use green ones) means it's almost a meal in its own right. Or something to be nibbled at every time you pass the fridge. :blush2:

120ml brown or green lentils

475ml basmati rice

3 tablespoons olive oil

2 x 5cm cinnamon sticks

8 cardamom pods

2 bay leaves

½ medium onion, peeled and cut into fine half-rings

Salt (Madhur suggests 1½ teaspoons (!) but a generous grind from the grinder is more than enough)

Soak the lentils in warm water for 3-5 hours. Drain.

Put the rice in a bowl. Cover with cold water, and stir the rice gently. Pour out the dirty water. Do this 4 or 5 times. Now cover well with fresh water and leave to soak for 30 minutes (longer won't hurt). Drain and leave in a sieve set over a bowl to drain further.

Pour the oil into a heavy-based medium pan that has a tight-fitting lid, and set over a medium heat. When hot, put in the cinnamon, cardamom and bay leaves. Stir for 10 seconds. Put in the onion. Stir and fry until it turns reddish-brown.

Add the lentils, rice and salt. Reduce the heat to medium and sauté the rice very gently for 1 minute. Add 700ml water and bring to the boil. Cover tightly, reduce the heat to very, very low and cook gently for 25 minutes.

Job done. :good: Easy pickings, but the kind of thing that makes me think I could go veggie if I absolutely had to.

Aye, looking again its a bit of green pepper, ( top right, with some spinach on it).

Looks good mind

Nothing that involves peppers of ANY colour is good. Nothing at all!

:lol:

You allergic to them Cath?

I used to do a dish when cheffing that was so easy but bloody lovely.

Roast whole yellow and red peppers, skin them making sure all charred skin is gone.

Make two sauces by liquidising the yellow and red peppered separately , add white wine and chicken stock to both, a smidge of chilli to the red and roast garlic to the yellow. Cook both off on a gentle heat.

I'd then take pieces of Cod, Monkfish, and Haddock and dust them lightly in seasoned flour and grill, hoying some dill on at the end.

You can make it with just one type of white fish , obviously.

Put a good spoonful of each sauce on each half of the plate, give it a little shake to spread evenly, then swirl where they meet with a knife tip.

Arrange the grilled fish on top in the ponciest way you bring yourself to do, then serve it up with whatever your favourite steamed greens are-I'd usually go for Curly Kale.

Much easier than it sounds tbh.

Noooo, not allergic, they just absolutely send me sick. I can't even pick them off pizza because I can still taste where they've been and the taste lingers for days. Ugh man, I can't even explain it properly. I would eat almost anything ahead of peppers.

Noooo, not allergic, they just absolutely send me sick. I can't even pick them off pizza because I can still taste where they've been and the taste lingers for days. Ugh man, I can't even explain it properly. I would eat almost anything ahead of peppers.

Anything?

:naughty: