Cooking

Gemmill

Knocked up some pancakes for the bairn for breakfast.....turned out lovely.

4 eggs

140g plain flour

200ml milk

easy peasey.

made a sandwich earlier,

2 slices of granary bread

bit of butter

bit of cheese

2 slices of ham

:good:

4 eggs

140g plain flour

200ml milk

easy peasey.

made a sandwich earlier,

bit of butter

bit of cheese

2 slices of ham

Had some crisps earlier.

1 packet of crisps

Boomtown.

Joking aside CT I make a lovely Tuna Melt and it's dead simple.

Half a Tiger bread loaf, itself cut in half length ways

Make a tuna mayo mix but add tarragon

Gated mature cheddar (tempted to swap this out for gruyère which I've been told is good for all kinds of cooking)

Worcestershire Sauce

Under the Grill. Sorted.

I fancy making my own mayo sometime, but Hellmans extra light stuff tastes nice and is already in a jar (and I'm a bit lazy).

4 eggs

140g plain flour

200ml milk

easy peasey.

made a sandwich earlier,

bit of butter

bit of cheese

2 slices of ham

Butlers day off?

4 eggs

140g plain flour

200ml milk

easy peasey.

made a sandwich earlier,

bit of butter

bit of cheese

2 slices of ham

Had some crisps earlier.

1 packet of crisps

Boomtown.

:lol:

Fancied some chocolate earlier.

Couldn't be arsed

Beat that!

Gated mature cheddar (tempted to swap this out for gruyère which I've been told is good for all kinds of cooking)

Worcestershire Sauce

Under the Grill. Sorted.

I fancy making my own mayo sometime, but Hellmans extra light stuff tastes nice and is already in a jar (and I'm a bit lazy).

"Extra light"...Sacriledge!! :lol:

Worcestershire Sauce

Under the Grill. Sorted.

"Extra light"...Sacriledge!! :lol:

I prefer it to the full fat stuff :dunno:

(I reckon it's a subconcious guilt thing brought about my faceless bastards on theinternet calling me fat for the past decade :cry: )

Had some crisps earlier.

1 packet of crisps

Boomtown.

:lol:

Fancied some chocolate earlier.

Couldn't be arsed

Beat that!

Quantities and method pls???

Chocolate - none

Don't buy a bar of chocolate , once no purchase has been made, do not remove the wrapper.

After about 5 minutes of non-consumption , it should be done.

My Dad did one of Gino D'Acampo's pasta recipes a while back and I gave it a go today. So I can't *really* credit this as wholly original, rather just going with Gino's initial idea of grilling a mixture of farfalle, salmon and bechamel sauce.

'Farfalle al Salmone Gratinate - Brock style'

200g farfalle pasta

1 smallish red pepper (diced)

1 sweet onion (diced)

Handful of finely-chopped mushrooms

1 x can red salmon (had been sitting in my cupboard for AGES). About 300g I think it was.

100g grated cheddar

10 fresh basil leaves

I made a smokey pesto based bechamel sauce to liven it up a little:

50g butter

50g plain flour

1 spn green pesto

2 tsp smoked paprika

300ml milk (I used the sainsbury's orange top to cut the calories down a bit. Worked fine but I had to add another 25g of flour or so as it was a bit runny. If you're not fussed, use whole milk.)

- First up, fry the onions and peppers together until the onions soften. Standard theme in my recipes it seems.

- Add the mushrooms then stir a bit more.

- Throw in the salmon and mix everything together. Season with salt & pepper and keep warm.

- To make the bechamel sauce, melt the butter over a low heat and whisk in the flour. Don't whisk the shit out of it, just incorporating the two together for now.

- It'll resemble a beige paste. That's fine. Pour in the milk small splashes at a time, whisking until the lumps disappear. (NB: every single chef has their own different method of making bechamel sauce. Mine is it doesn't matter what temperature the flour or milk is, so long as you don't whisk it like a wimp. Ftr, the chef who trained me uses warm milk, room temperature flour. I use cold milk because fuck fannying about and warming it up when you have a whisk.)

- If it's looking too runny you can always whisk in more flour. If it's too thick, splash in more milk.

- When all the milk is in and it's thickened nicely (custard consistency), whisk in your pesto and smoked paprika. Keep it warm. Don't ever let it boil. If it really starts to bloop, you won't be cockahoop. Remember that.

- Whilst all this has been doing, prepare the pasta until it's al dente. Drain immediately and empty in with the salmon mixture.

- Give that a stir then pour in the pesto bechamel, stirring it all through.

- Either leave it in the pan or transfer it to a baking dish. Sprinkle the cheese on the top along with chopped fresh basil and grill it for 15 mins or until the cheese has browned and is bubbling. Leave it to stand for 5 mins before cutting it up and serving.

There was enough for 4 I'd say so long as you serve it with a side (2 of us we were hungry and so split a 3rd; I have 1 portion left over for the customary next day lunch). Served it with some steamed spinach that I squeezed into a block then seasoned and chopped.

Aye. Got people coming over tomorrow night so that's on the cards here too. Might prep it today so the flavours have time to get all sexay with each other.

Yeah, my lass is working tonight so we'll have it tomorrow. Always nicer the day after anyway. Hoy some chipotles in btw. Top tip!