Cooking

Gemmill

Got really stoned this morning and then made the following. A huge pot of clam chowder, smoked and then braised four racks of ribs, roasted brussel sprouts with garlic, chilies, and lime juice. Deep fried shrimp and then added them to my fried rice. The rice also had red bell peppers, onions, pineapple, and chives. Prepared a spinach-artichoke-jalapeno dip, Put the dip on slices of fresh bread and topped it with some parmesan cheese before putting it in the oven to melt the cheese. Stuffed belly and now sitting back sipping on some whiskey while puffing on a cigar. Happy holidays to you all!

I'm on the Cadburys Christmas biscuits this morning. I feel a bit awesome now.

There's all kinds of crap in here but most of it has been sitting on tables for the best part of 24hrs so it's all a bit scabby. The dips have seen better days and I don't do nuts.

Doing a nice Sunday Beef Roast today.... (our lass's Xmas pressy) but would love to know how to make that proper Yellow mashed turnip that you get in Restaurants (Toby Grill). I know it involves Chefs secrets and have a feeling its something to do with being cooked twice??? but I'll be buggered if I can find any info on it.

For reference Im talking about proper turnips that we used to use on halloween and not these little fancy dan turnips you can also get.

Cheers Ant. Only just saw that and am currently in the middle of this recipe.

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/food-and-drink/recipes/mashed-swede-615713.html

See how it goes. :pray:

Theres definitely a chefs tip that involves cooking it twice that gives the xtra yellow colour according to the fella at the Toby Grill. Will have to go back.

There's really no secret CT. If you use swede, you'll get orange/yellow mash.

Cut into equal pieces, steam until soft, mash it up with butter and black pepper.

No need for liquidising it or cooking twice or other such bollix, it's really as simple as above.

* cutting tip- cut the swede into four segments ( think Terry's choc orange) , then lay each segment on one of its large flat sides and cut it into 1-2 cm slices. This way you'll have roughly equal pieces which will all cook evenly*

There's really no secret CT. If you use swede, you'll get orange/yellow mash.

Cut into equal pieces, steam until soft, mash it up with butter and black pepper.

No need for liquidising it or cooking twice or other such bollix, it's really as simple as above.

* cutting tip- cut the swede into four segments ( think Terry's choc orange) , then lay each segment on one of its large flat sides and cut it into 1-2 cm slices. This way you'll have roughly equal pieces which will all cook evenly*

But there is, hence the question :lol:

Turnip from the Toby has a very unique taste and colour.

I asked the Chef if he used a special type of turnip. :dunno:

He grinned knowingly and said its a little tip chefs use that involves cooking it twice. :shifty:

Anyhows, I used the Guardian recipe above which involves adding creme fraich, chives, a knob of butter and nutmeg....... The gathered ensemble said it was the best turnip they had ever tasted. :banana:

I also used the thermometer thingy I bought at Asda to perfect the beef and my god it was delicious.

All in all, a resuslt. :surf:

There's a food blog I follow and recently the guy posted a recipe for a goat's cheese sauce. He claimed it was a failure as he got tired of eating it half way through.

Challenge accepted.

Although rather than goat's cheese I ended up with Manchego sheep's cheese from Sainsbury's. Go figure. Unlike goat's cheese this was quite hard (bit like cheddar if you leave it in the fridge uncovered). Oh well, this came out divinely anyway.

Sheep's Cheese and Smoked Pancetta Penne Pasta (serves 3 - I wanted an extra portion for lunch!)

1 onion (diced)

1 apple (cored & diced)

handful of chopped mushrooms (if we're being exact, I used 3 large ones)

250ml chicken stock

100ml bechemel sauce (I always make my own as it's easy as piss. You only need whisk it moderately so it doesn't go lumpy. Or just buy it ready made if you feel like cheating. I left out nutmeg & bay leaves for this though.)

6 rashers of smoked pancetta (cubes or smoked lardons would work)

120g Manchego sheep's cheese (grated)

handful of toasted & chopped walnuts

1 tsp smoked paprika

250g penne pasta

Here we go:

- Toast walnuts for 20 seconds then chop and put aside.

- Fry onions until they begin to soften. 10 mins or so over a medium heat.

- Add the mushrooms and give it another 5 mins.

- In goes the apple. Stir it around for 2 mins just to soften it a little.

- Add the lardons and paprika then pour in the stock and bring to a boil. Let it reduce down by about half.

- (if you're making your own bechemel, do it now. Have it ready to stir in just before serving) Slowly whisk in the grated cheese. Do this over a lowish heat as you want it to melt into the bechemel gently. If it looks too lumpy, add more milk to thin it out a bit and keep whisking. Whisk level: gentle to moderate as needed.

- Whilst that's doing, prepare the pasta in salted water (8-10 minutes).

- Once the pasta is ready and your stock reduced, turn the heat way down. Pour in the bechemel sauce to the stock pan and mix it well. Stir in the walnuts too - bet you forgot about them (I almost did).

- Drain the pasta leaving it a little moist and stir it into your sauce. It'll coat beautifully.

- Serve it up with some green beans on the side.

That's it. It came out delightfully creamy with the sharpness of the cheese blending well with the smokey sweet flavours. Walnuts are optional but gave a great crunch.

Buon appetito.

Just being listening to Richard Bacon interview Heston Blumenthal on five live about his new show, how to cook like Heston Blumenthal. (Wednesday nights Channel 4)

Anyway, if you have ever being to the Broad Chare on the quayside and tasted those gorgeous scotch eggs that are served hot with the egg still runny, then Heston tells you how to make them.

He was also discussing the proper way to boil an egg, (which I only learned last week) which is as follows.

Put your egg in the smallest pan you have and literally just cover the egg with cold water.

Put on the heat and as soon as the water begins to boil, take off the heat and leave to stand for six minutes.

The egg is done and will be the best boiled egg you have ever eaten.

And before you say you knew this already.....Fist, Gemmil or Ant,....... if so, why didnt you share.

Just being listening to Richard Bacon interview Heston Blumenthal on five live about his new show, how to cook like Heston Blumenthal. (Wednesday nights Channel 4)

Anyway, if you have ever being to the Broad Chare on the quayside and tasted those gorgeous scotch eggs that are served hot with the egg still runny, then Heston tells you how to make them.

He was also discussing the proper way to boil an egg, (which I only learned last week) which is as follows.

Put your egg in the smallest pan you have and literally just cover the egg with cold water.

Put on the heat and as soon as the water begins to boil, take off the heat and leave to stand for six minutes.

And before you say you knew this already.....Fist, Gemmil or Ant,....... if so, why didnt you share.

Was this revelation similar to the pasta sauce?

And it's "been" man! You fucking half-wit. :lol:

Was this revelation similar to the pasta sauce?

And it's "been" man! You fucking half-wit. :lol:

I had been as well, thought of Gemmil and changed it. :lol:

And yes it was. Going to have to find that recipe again now that Im eating healthily.

Tin tomatoes, 2 x crushed garlic cloves, squeeze of lemon and tea spoon of sugar???????? Feel as though Im missing something.

Discovered garlic and basil flavoured Linguine this week so the sauce will come in handy.

Found it

Well, Meenzer's was the Spag Bol one. It's just in me head though but you're welcome to get the pm off him if he's still got it. Re: Tomato-based pasta sauce: all you do is fry finely chopped or crushed peeled garlic cloves in olive on a low heat (so they don't burn) until they're translucent rather than browned. The amount you use is all down to taste, but I like loads. The taste is stronger if you crush the garlic though. When they're done, chuck in tinned chopped tomotoes or passata. I like the former as you have a bit of 'chunkyness' to the sauce. Alternative is rustic style passata which is like a cross between the two. Add salt and pepper to taste, some tomato puree (not much) and a little bit of sugar. Then you just cook it on a low heat so it bubbles away. The longer you cook it the better. This is just a basic sauce but you can add fresh basil, dried/fresh oregano, chillies (to make arrabiata) or add mascarpone at the end for a creamy sauce. Whatever you fancy really. If the sauce gets a bit too thick you can add a little water. Dead easy. The longer you cook it the better it tastes imo as the tomatoes start to break down and you get a more intense flavour. Check the seasoning as you go and if you add a little bit at a time it tastes nicer than chucking it all in at the end. If it seems like a fanny on remember you can make a big batch and freeze some. Honestly, you'll never look at Dolmio in the same way again.