Cooking

Gemmill

Potatoes were illegal in France until 1772, when they were declared fit for consumption, due largely to Augustin Parmentier. Pommes Parmentier are one of my favourites, beaten only by Pommes Dauphinoise.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antoine-Augustin_Parmentier

And that is your Potato Fact for today.

Pfft the perfect roasties involve goose fat, a few cloves of garlic and some thyme/rosemary

Aye. The par-boiling and shuffling around the pan that CT describes is essential too though. Lovely jubbly.

Pfft the perfect roasties involve goose fat, a few cloves of garlic and some thyme/rosemary

Aye, I quite like the goose fat but our lass has to be careful with fats (awaits jokes).

Have also been meaning to try with Garlic but for me it would have to be the right meal for that. Don't want any garlic nonsense on the Sunday roast.

I often open a cold one, drink bout half of it, shove a chicken on top of it and toss it in the oven. These are raw chickens, not the dry-grilled shite you buy from the take-away desk... about 40 minute at 180 degrees..Season as you like and serve with ( another) beer...finger food for champions.

I often open a cold one, drink bout half of it, shove a chicken on top of it and toss it in the oven. These are raw chickens, not the dry-grilled shite you buy from the take-away desk... about 40 minute at 180 degrees..Season as you like and serve with ( another) beer...finger food for champions.

http://homecooking.about.com/od/chickenrecipes/r/blpoul63.htm

Never tried it...you cooked it outdoors? what's it like?

(replies of "tastes like chicken" will be shot :lol:)

Ant speaketh the truth fatty, roasted garlic is so much milder than what you're used to. It's bloody lovely just roasted then spread on some nice breadwith a drop of olive oil.

:omgwank::spinwank::bloodywank:

be too salty then man :)

Edited by Monkeys Fist

http://homecooking.a.../r/blpoul63.htm

Never tried it...you cooked it outdoors? what's it like?

(replies of "tastes like chicken" will be shot :lol:)

Yeah, I have. Well its brilliant, so juicy... I served this one time with a lass over..she wasnt too impressed - said it looked disgusting and didnt believe me when I said it was a "classic dish". If I were to do it like this I might as well have served frozen pizza according to her.

pearls for swine and all that :glare:

Visited china a few years back, and according to my mate the dog there DID taste like chicken. I refused to eat it because the dogs looked exactly like mine at home, but my mate had like 3 a day..the bastard :lol:

I might give it a go next summer :lol: wonder how it'd turn out with a bitter instead of lager?

I would try dog if I was out East somewhere, not particularly squeamish when it comes to eating wee beasties.

Edited by Monkeys Fist

endless possibilities... I just like the straight-forwardness of it. Im lazy, I like beer and I like chicken. Drink half of it after a long day, rub salt and pepper into the chicken along with some oil (and melted butter if you are feeling cuisiney), then shoehorn it in ( we have all been here am I right?!), aaand oven time. I usually eat small chickens so for me 40-45 mins is perfect, bigger ones you might have to keep it in the oven for an hour or an hour and a half... depends on the temperature really. I prefer bit lower and slower rather than the fire-alarm temperature some people do, tends to dry the out layers out.

I have a female friend who - when making soup - always have the temperature on 9 ( max ) and always asks me if I have any ..uhm "steel wool" ( dont know the correct english word, its for power-cleaning dirty kettles with burnt stuff in it) when its done.

She never connects the dots, and I havent had the heart to tell her yet - she prides herself on that soup :lol:

I have a female friend who - when making soup - always have the temperature on 9 ( max ) and always asks me if I have any ..uhm "steel wool" ( dont know the correct english word, its for power-cleaning dirty kettles with burnt stuff in it) when its done.

She never connects the dots, and I havent had the heart to tell her yet - she prides herself on that soup :lol:

:D

Yorkshire pudding after midnight :lol: And why not?

Had friends over for dinner so i cooked a cote de boeuf, it was fucking enormous. About 5 inches thick and at least a foot across. I used the grill to cook it, 5 mins each side twice, a few mins for good measure, bringing it out after about 24 mins. I had a tray underneath, scooped out the juices, added to a pan with half a beef stock cube and about 250ml of water, bit of flour etc.

Served it with mash, green beans and a 2003 Santenay Premier Cru.