Real will not extend David Beckham's contract

Ted Maul

They seem to be making preparations for them.....

picturesfuckoffposhcd3.jpg

tbh one in six people in the US know who David Beckham is. One is twelve might know who 'Posh' is meant to be. We're not as obsessed with has-beens over here. :rolleyes:

Yeah ? no shit !

Pele, Beckenbauer, Best, Marsh, Alberto, Chinaglia.......

:rolleyes:

Way to pull out those recent examples, Jimbo.

Ok, give me some examples of non-american world class players that have chosen to play in the MLS at their peak ?

Fail to see the relevence.

Valderamma and Donadoni spring to mind, though. Both played in the league around age 27-28.

Fuck me, two, I stand corrected.

You have failed to notice the first part of the statement. Pointing to MLS bringing in guys like Mattheaus at the end of their careers has always been a failure for MLS, which is why I don't see how it is relevent. Can you tell me how you think it is? Can you think of more than three 'past-it' guys who've gone to MLS and been a success (or even not?)

• Replies 388
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We're not as obsessed with has-beens over here. :rolleyes:

Who's the governer of California again? :rolleyes:

The guy who was elected mere months after the premier of his last blockbuster, Terminator 3? :rolleyes:

Ah yes Terminator 3, up there with the Matrix for most pointless and tedious sequels of all time.

Still, proves you guys are always going to give a has-been one last payday, so it looks Beckham has made the right move. :mellow:

tbh one in six people in the US know who David Beckham is. One is twelve might know who 'Posh' is meant to be. We're not as obsessed with has-beens over here. :rolleyes:

Yeah ? no shit !

Ok, give me some examples of non-american world class players that have chosen to play in the MLS at their peak ?

Valderamma and Donadoni spring to mind, though. Both played in the league around age 27-28.

Donadoni was 33. Valderrama was 35. Next question.

Edited by Isegrim

tbh one in six people in the US know who David Beckham is. One is twelve might know who 'Posh' is meant to be. We're not as obsessed with has-beens over here. :mellow:

Yeah ? no shit !

Donadoni was by no means at his peak and was about 33 when he went to the MLS. :rolleyes:

tbh one in six people in the US know who David Beckham is. One is twelve might know who 'Posh' is meant to be. We're not as obsessed with has-beens over here. :mellow:

Yeah ? no shit !

Donadoni was by no means at his peak and was about 33 when he went to the MLS. :rolleyes:

Jormans > English (even without penalties)

Meh. English people have never let facts get in the way of slagging people off.

Beckham has earned much more off the pitch than on the pitch for years, I thought everyone understood that the majority of his earnings re: the USA were not coming form his direct football, as I said T-shirt salesman (and razor etc. etc.).

I think the point of the article is that $250m is still high based on all that

Depends if he is a good salesman or not tbh, but his football is pretty much irrelevent to the amount he end up with.

Yeah ? no shit !

Donadoni was 33. Valderrama was 35. Next question.

Fuck me, so they were. I was fooled by thinking that Valderama retired at age 47 or something and because Donadoni went back to Italy for a season or two after his stint in MLS.

OTOH, noone has pointed out anyone who's really past his prime having a great deal of success in MLS.

We're not as obsessed with has-beens over here. :rolleyes:

Who's the governer of California again? :rolleyes:

The guy who was elected mere months after the premier of his last blockbuster, Terminator 3? :rolleyes:

Ah yes Terminator 3, up there with the Matrix for most pointless and tedious sequels of all time.

Still, proves you guys are always going to give a has-been one last payday, so it looks Beckham has made the right move. :mellow:

T3 made considerable money, not just for AAAaahnold, but for the studio, so it's not like it was a poor choice on either part. I have never seen any of the Terminator films, so I couldn't say whether it was a good movie.

As for the Beckham comment, I would like to point out the number of people who were advocating signing him for NUFC. :rolleyes:

1 in 6 Americans = the population of Britain

Yeah ? no shit !

Jormans > English (even without penalties)

1.gif

tbh one in six people in the US know who David Beckham is. One is twelve might know who 'Posh' is meant to be. We're not as obsessed with has-beens over here. :baby:

1 in 6 Americans = the population of Britain

Are you saying that only half of the people in Britain know who 'posh' is?

We're not as obsessed with has-beens over here. ;)

Who's the governer of California again? :(

The guy who was elected mere months after the premier of his last blockbuster, Terminator 3? :baby:

Still, proves you guys are always going to give a has-been one last payday, so it looks Beckham has made the right move. :razz:

T3 made considerable money, not just for AAAaahnold, but for the studio, so it's not like it was a poor choice on either part. I have never seen any of the Terminator films, so I couldn't say whether it was a good movie.

As for the Beckham comment, I would like to point out the number of people who were advocating signing him for NUFC. :razz:

I'm not saying it didn't make money, more that it's a worthless, pointless and cynical film that should never have been made. Which is a nice analogy for the Beckham move - both him and LA Galaxy will benefit financially, but he's still a sellout cunt.

And I said he'd be a good player here if he could be arsed, which if he's prepared to pick up silly money whilst playing (in your own words) championship level football then he clearly isn't.

The guy who was elected mere months after the premier of his last blockbuster, Terminator 3? :baby:

Still, proves you guys are always going to give a has-been one last payday, so it looks Beckham has made the right move. :razz:

As for the Beckham comment, I would like to point out the number of people who were advocating signing him for NUFC. :razz:

I'm not saying it didn't make money, more that it's a worthless, pointless and cynical film that should never have been made. Which is a nice analogy for the Beckham move - both him and LA Galaxy will benefit financially, but he's still a sellout cunt.

And I said he'd be a good player here if he could be arsed, which if he's prepared to pick up silly money whilst playing (in your own words) championship level football then he clearly isn't.

I will never understand this criticism. Are you honestly saying you would rather work for somewhere where you'll be constantly and publically criticized and tracked by the press as opposed to being paid more to do less and live somewhere a hell of a lot nicer? Be rational.

He's not going to get back into the England team, the tabloids have made sure of that and he's hardly going to be going to a top level English club, at least never one that is close enough to a *nice* place to live that it'd be worth his while. There's more to life than your employment.

Besides which, he founded an academy in Los Angeles years ago, moving to LA allows him to work more directly with that, which is working for his future outside of the game which is, frankly an excellent move that smacks of "planning."

If MLS can go from the laughable standard it was showing in 1996 when it was founded to a Championship level in less than ten years, who can say where it will be in five years when his contract runs out? The DP rule will allow for some other highly paid big names--who will likely be a bit past their sell-by date, but will increase the visibility of the league as a whole and might help to attract some of the less aged players. MLS isn't about being the be-all and end-all of soccer leagues in the world; they don't want to turn into the NASL. Their primary goal is to make money, but their primary athletic goal is to develop the American player and the American game.

I will never understand this criticism. Are you honestly saying you would rather work for somewhere where you'll be constantly and publically criticized and tracked by the press as opposed to being paid more to do less and live somewhere a hell of a lot nicer? Be rational.

I agree with the rest of your post. However I wish you and others would stop trying to compare Beckham's situation to yours or mine. It's not the same. He is already rich beyond his wildest dreams, so the fact LA Galaxy are willing to pay him silly money is irrelevent, despite the attention it's recieving. Of course, if I were offered a better paid job then I'd probably take it, however I probably wouldn't be in a position to refuse it like Beckham is. You say there's more to life than employment, and you're right, but again 'employment' means something very different for David Beckham than it does to you or I.

This move makes sense for him for many reasons, but his footballing career is effectively over. I'm just disappointed as despite his constant courting of photographers and publicity I thought he took pride in his football. Obviously, he takes more pride in his bank balance.

I agree with the rest of your post. However I wish you and others would stop trying to compare Beckham's situation to yours or mine. It's not the same. He is already rich beyond his wildest dreams, so the fact LA Galaxy are willing to pay him silly money is irrelevent, despite the attention it's recieving. Of course, if I were offered a better paid job then I'd probably take it, however I probably wouldn't be in a position to refuse it like Beckham is. You say there's more to life than employment, and you're right, but again 'employment' means something very different for David Beckham than it does to you or I.

This move makes sense for him for many reasons, but his footballing career is effectively over. I'm just disappointed as despite his constant courting of photographers and publicity I thought he took pride in his football. Obviously, he takes more pride in his bank balance.

I still disagree. Consider how much Pele's name is still synonymous with the sport in this country. He is one of only a select few who are still known here. Beckenbauer, Best, Chinaglia, Marsch--no one remembers them. Beckham has the chance to be to the 2000s what Pele was to the 1970s in this country for the sport. I'd say that's respecting his role in the game as much as his bank balance.

Who's the governer of California again? :razz:

NAh yes Terminator 3, up there with the Matrix for most pointless and tedious sequels of all time.

As for the Beckham comment, I would like to point out the number of people who were advocating signing him for NUFC. :D

I still disagree. Consider how much Pele's name is still synonymous with the sport in this country. He is one of only a select few who are still known here. Beckenbauer, Best, Chinaglia, Marsch--no one remembers them. Beckham has the chance to be to the 2000s what Pele was to the 1970s in this country for the sport. I'd say that's respecting his role in the game as much as his bank balance.

Now I know you're talking shite, comparing Beckham to Pele! :(

The latter does have the advantage of being the most famous and revered footballer ever, it's not surprising people remember him more. I hope Beckham does raise the profile of football in the USA, but in this country and I imagine most others he'll always be known as the man who chose dollars over his football career.

Who's the governer of California again? :D

NAh yes Terminator 3, up there with the Matrix for most pointless and tedious sequels of all time.

As for the Beckham comment, I would like to point out the number of people who were advocating signing him for NUFC. :icon_lol:

Now I know you're talking shite, comparing Beckham to Pele! :(

The latter does have the advantage of being the most famous and revered footballer ever, it's not surprising people remember him more. I hope Beckham does raise the profile of football in the USA, but in this country and I imagine most others he'll always be known as the man who chose dollars over his football career.

What other countries matter, though? If you made it in the US, you're golden. :razz:

Arguably Beckham is the most famous contemporary footballer--the only person I'd put on par with challenging him is Zidane. I can think of no other ambassador, and if the LA Galaxy go on to become the new New York Cosmos, that image of him being a money grabber will go away. Who thinks of Chinaglia or Beckenbauer in those terms?

• 4 weeks later...

I watched Real last week at home to Levante and they lost 1-0, that performance was as bad as anything we've served up under Souness or Roeder.

I don't think Beckham was going for goal from that freekick though.

While Beckham is way past his best, and is extremely slow, he'll still provide end-product. We have to despair if Wright-Phillips in his current state is our best beat on the right-wing according to McLaren.

Beckham will not, however, play again for England.

Just scored for Real despite Cappello saying he wouldn't play for them again. Fair play to him. <_<

Great stuff!! Read Cappello's comments in mid week, was some serious back tracking. Happy for Becks.

Fair play to him, a lesser man would've said fuck it and happily bided his time whilst picking up his wages but from the sounds of it Beckham has kept his head down and with the help of the respect he has earned from his team mates has forced Capello to pick him and justified him inclusion. Albert Luque take note.

Fair play to him, a lesser man would've said fuck it and happily bided his time whilst picking up his wages but from the sounds of it Beckham has kept his head down and with the help of the respect he has earned from his team mates has forced Capello to pick him and justified him inclusion. Albert Luque take note.

The reaction of his team mates when he scored said it all. All legged it over to celebrate with him.