Youngsters can fill United void

Scottish Mag

Steven Taylor has vowed that Newcastle's valiant youngsters will continue to fill the breach in United's defence as the Magpies continue their search for reinforcements in the transfer market.

The Journal understands that manager Glenn Roeder is confident he will be able to confirm the signing of a new defender tomorrow, with Chelsea's young Frenchman Lassana Diarra the latest name to set the transfer grapevine buzzing.

But it remains to be seen whether the 21-year-old, who is predominantly a defensive midfielder who can also play in the back four, is the player in question. Diarra has only made 11 appearances for Chelsea since a £3m move from French side Le Havre in 2005 and fell out with manager Jose Mourinho at the weekend when he was 40 minutes late turning up at Stamford Bridge ahead of the FA Cup third round tie with Macclesfield.

United are understood to be monitoring England Under-21 centre-back Anton Ferdinand's situation at West Ham, where new manager Alan Curbishley may be ready to offload a player who has reportedly already attracted a bid from Tottenham as he attempts to breathe life into a squad embroiled in a relegation fight.

Newcastle may also be interested to learn that their former defender Aaron Hughes' future at Aston Villa is in doubt following the arrival of Phil Bardsley on loan from Manchester United.

Hughes was controversially sold to Villa by former manager Graeme Souness in May 2005, but he never let anyone down at St James's Park and was a popular figure among supporters. The Northern Ireland captain's versatility would mean he could play in every position in the back four if needed.

The Magpies were also interested in Manchester United's England international Wes Brown, but were told last week that the 27-year-old wanted to stay at Old Trafford, forcing Roeder to look elsewhere.

For Taylor, though, the speculation cannot be allowed to distract him as he prepares for the tough-looking trip to Tottenham Hotspur at the weekend.

The England Under-21 international has grown in stature in a vastly inexperienced back-line in recent weeks, helping fellow youth team graduates Paul Huntington and David Edgar as they take their first tentative steps in the Premiership.

"It has been a tough season with the injuries and I don't think anyone at the club has ever known anything like it," said Taylor, who has started 60 games in all competitions since he made his first team debut against Bolton Wanderers in March 2004.

"But the young players who have come in have done an amazing job in the circumstances. Players like Paul Huntington and David Edgar have been thrown into the deep end but they have done amazingly well.

"It is always difficult when you move up from reserve team football to the real thing, but moving from the reserves to the Premiership is even harder. The fact that they have helped keep the results improving is remarkable.

"Having Nobby Solano at the back has also helped because he has so much experience and I think the way he has settled into the right-back position underlines just how everyone is prepared to give everything they can for the club.

"There is nobody having a go about playing in the wrong position. It is just every man at the pumps as we have to get over the injury crisis and come out the other side."

Nevertheless, while the youngsters can plug the gaps in the short term, Taylor knows that Newcastle need to strengthen the squad to provide the sort of competition for places that characterises the top teams - something he feels he and the rest of the home-grown players will do, even if Roeder does make the two defensive signings he wants to this month.

Taylor added: "Injuries mean other players have got their chance and it is their opportunity to show what they can do. I know that is exactly how I felt when I first made the team.

"I was determined to play as well as possible and make it really difficult for the manager. That is what the boys have done and that is exactly what the club needs - plenty of competition for places. You get that at all the top clubs and we are one of the biggest in the land so should be no different."

Steven Taylor has vowed that Newcastle's valiant youngsters will continue to fill the breach in United's defence as the Magpies continue their search for reinforcements in the transfer market.

The Journal understands that manager Glenn Roeder is confident he will be able to confirm the signing of a new defender tomorrow, with Chelsea's young Frenchman Lassana Diarra the latest name to set the transfer grapevine buzzing.

But it remains to be seen whether the 21-year-old, who is predominantly a defensive midfielder who can also play in the back four, is the player in question. Diarra has only made 11 appearances for Chelsea since a £3m move from French side Le Havre in 2005 and fell out with manager Jose Mourinho at the weekend when he was 40 minutes late turning up at Stamford Bridge ahead of the FA Cup third round tie with Macclesfield.

United are understood to be monitoring England Under-21 centre-back Anton Ferdinand's situation at West Ham, where new manager Alan Curbishley may be ready to offload a player who has reportedly already attracted a bid from Tottenham as he attempts to breathe life into a squad embroiled in a relegation fight.

Newcastle may also be interested to learn that their former defender Aaron Hughes' future at Aston Villa is in doubt following the arrival of Phil Bardsley on loan from Manchester United.

Hughes was controversially sold to Villa by former manager Graeme Souness in May 2005, but he never let anyone down at St James's Park and was a popular figure among supporters. The Northern Ireland captain's versatility would mean he could play in every position in the back four if needed.

The Magpies were also interested in Manchester United's England international Wes Brown, but were told last week that the 27-year-old wanted to stay at Old Trafford, forcing Roeder to look elsewhere.

For Taylor, though, the speculation cannot be allowed to distract him as he prepares for the tough-looking trip to Tottenham Hotspur at the weekend.

The England Under-21 international has grown in stature in a vastly inexperienced back-line in recent weeks, helping fellow youth team graduates Paul Huntington and David Edgar as they take their first tentative steps in the Premiership.

"It has been a tough season with the injuries and I don't think anyone at the club has ever known anything like it," said Taylor, who has started 60 games in all competitions since he made his first team debut against Bolton Wanderers in March 2004.

"But the young players who have come in have done an amazing job in the circumstances. Players like Paul Huntington and David Edgar have been thrown into the deep end but they have done amazingly well.

"It is always difficult when you move up from reserve team football to the real thing, but moving from the reserves to the Premiership is even harder. The fact that they have helped keep the results improving is remarkable.

"Having Nobby Solano at the back has also helped because he has so much experience and I think the way he has settled into the right-back position underlines just how everyone is prepared to give everything they can for the club.

"There is nobody having a go about playing in the wrong position. It is just every man at the pumps as we have to get over the injury crisis and come out the other side."

Nevertheless, while the youngsters can plug the gaps in the short term, Taylor knows that Newcastle need to strengthen the squad to provide the sort of competition for places that characterises the top teams - something he feels he and the rest of the home-grown players will do, even if Roeder does make the two defensive signings he wants to this month.

Taylor added: "Injuries mean other players have got their chance and it is their opportunity to show what they can do. I know that is exactly how I felt when I first made the team.

"I was determined to play as well as possible and make it really difficult for the manager. That is what the boys have done and that is exactly what the club needs - plenty of competition for places. You get that at all the top clubs and we are one of the biggest in the land so should be no different."

Jesus titty fucking christ.

Pole. Position. :razz:

ARRRRRRRRRHHHHGGGG!!!

Pole. Position. :razz:

poleposition10.jpg

Wooooooaaaaaaah!

hughes was a member of the side that came 3rd 4th and 5th in the prem.

solid but unspectacular.... and not the player he was with us... (he was not that bad with us btw)

diarra is supposed to be the new makalele from what i hear. bit of an ego as well...

ferdinand is a confidence player and really not good enough. been found out at this level to be honest...

Hughes was raped at fullback everytime he came up against anyone decent.

He's better than Carr but then so's my gran and she's just had a heart attack.

I would play Nobby ahead of him at rightback and Taylor, Rammage, Moore and even Tightarse ahead of him at centreback and I wouldn't consider him as a leftback anymore than anyone else we've been forced to play there this season.

Basically there is no point in signing someone who's never going to be good enough to be a starter for us.

Hughes is an honorary Geordie though, which is also a major factor. Is Robbie Elliot available btw?

Elliott has moved to leeds iirc.

i'd take hughes - if we could get him for less tha 500k i reckon he'd be a good squad player.

Hughes is an honorary Geordie though, which is also a major factor. Is Robbie Elliot available btw?

may as well bring back griffin and boumsong while we're at it

I don't think Boumsong falls into this category tbh.

But what is Dabizas doing these days...

Or Steve Watson. Seriously though, in hindsight, selling Hughes was a mistake (when you consider who Souness brought in to replace him - the permanently injured Moore) but buying him back is a pointless step backwards imo. Also, we don't want Ferdinand and we'll get taken to the cleaners over the fee for Upson (a la Boumsong) although I do think he is a good, steady defender. Or at least he was.

Or Steve Watson. Seriously though, in hindsight, selling Hughes was a mistake (when you consider who Souness brought in to replace him - the permanently injured Moore) but buying him back is a pointless step backwards imo. Also, we don't want Ferdinand and we'll get taken to the cleaners over the fee for Upson (a la Boumsong) although I do think he is a good, steady defender. Or at least he was.

I totally agree. People might making jokes about how much Hughesinho went up in people's estimation just because the tosser sold him, but the fact is that we lost a (sort of) reliable player who wasn't properly replaced afterwards. But taking him back would be nearly as stupid as the re-signing of Bernard. New players should be of a better quality.

And when I see the press linking us to overpriced and overhyped young English defenders I just thing that for the same fee you'll get a whole reliable backline in Jormany...

what pissed me off about selling hughes is that we didn't recieve anywhere near enough money to improve on him.

he was (depressingly) the best we had at the time and (even more depressingly) better than most of the available/afforable out there. Selling him just didn't make financial sense to me.

Elliott has moved to leeds iirc.

i'd take hughes - if we could get him for less tha 500k i reckon he'd be a good squad player.

Our team isn't good enough for us to be spending £500k on squad players at the moment. We should be looking to buy someone to go into the starting 11 and then we'll have the player he pushes out as the squad player.