Le Guen and Rangers part company

Scottish Mag

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Walter Smith blows lots of goats.

I reckon Tommy Burns will get the Scotland job. Which scares me a wee bit.

To be fair though, I'm no sure who I'd give it too. Smith did a good job with Scotland and I can't see an obvious replacement.

Walter Smith blows lots of goats.

I reckon Tommy Burns will get the Scotland job. Which scares me a wee bit.

To be fair though, I'm no sure who I'd give it too. Smith did a good job with Scotland and I can't see an obvious replacement.

I would like to see Burley involved..

....Smith did a good job with Scotland ....

...if you consider shafting your own country "a good job" then I agree.

The guy's gone down a lot in my estimation. :razz:

Why. He was prepared to do a dual role giving McCoist more responsibility at Rangers. Seems to me more of a case of the SFA spitting the dummy.

Why. He was prepared to do a dual role giving McCoist more responsibility at Rangers. Seems to me more of a case of the SFA spitting the dummy.

I think both the Scotland and Rangers jobs (though very different) are both full-time jobs. I can fully understand the SFA's point of view.

I think both the Scotland and Rangers jobs (though very different) are both full-time jobs. I can fully understand the SFA's point of view.

Scotland job is not full time. Part time at best with the right infrastructure. No national coach really works full time. How the FA managed to pay Sven so much for what he did is beyond me.

Tommy Burns is the bookies favourite, with Craig Levine next in the betting. Feel a bit sorry for the Scots like, with them having put together some semblance of a team for the first time in forever. Can't imagine Smith is overly popular north of the border at the minute walking out halfway through a qualifying campaign. :razz:

Well ok then, but he should be watching players all the time (opposition, Scottish players playing abroad and domestically etc.) and you can't do that and manage a club like Rangers imo.

Well ok then, but he should be watching players all the time (opposition, Scottish players playing abroad and domestically etc.) and you can't do that and manage a club like Rangers imo.

I see what your saying but like I said I think his idea was to give McCoist and the celtic bloke the coaching duties with him being more a director of football. Giving him the space to do both roles. I think the SFA are guilty of shooting themselves in the foot. Probably didn't want to be seen sharing someone with Rangers for obvious reasons.

Well he was the manager though. And he's now going to be Rangers manager. Perhaps you're right but I don't blame the SFA tbh. Plus, he was contracted to them. It's more a case of Smith's disloyalty than anything else I reckon. Scotland may be a part-time job, but managing Rangers will take up all his time. Difficult to do both I reckon.

Plus, if Smith was doing both it would give him an unfair advantage in the transfer market. Loads of promising Scotland players would probably sign for Rangers knowing it would give them a good shout at getting in the National Squad. There is nothing illegal about this of course, I'm just saying.

Paul Le Guen has been appointed the new manager of Paris Saint Germain.

The former Rangers boss, who left his job at Ibrox less than two weeks ago, replaces the sacked Guy Lacombe, PSG's official website announced on Monday.

Lacombe paid the price for a number of poor results and Saturday's 2-1 home defeat to Valenciennes proved to be the final straw.

Their latest reverse sees the capital club slumped in 17th place in Ligue 1, having won just four of their 19 matches.

PSG's board have turned to a man with considerable experience of the French division - most notably in a successful spell in charge at Lyon.

Former PSG player Le Guen will be formally presented to the media in a press conference at 2pm.

Guest stevieintoon
Paul Le Guen has been appointed the new manager of Paris Saint Germain.

The former Rangers boss, who left his job at Ibrox less than two weeks ago, replaces the sacked Guy Lacombe, PSG's official website announced on Monday.

Lacombe paid the price for a number of poor results and Saturday's 2-1 home defeat to Valenciennes proved to be the final straw.

Their latest reverse sees the capital club slumped in 17th place in Ligue 1, having won just four of their 19 matches.

PSG's board have turned to a man with considerable experience of the French division - most notably in a successful spell in charge at Lyon.

Former PSG player Le Guen will be formally presented to the media in a press conference at 2pm.

I think Le Guen is a quality manager, Rangers fans, the lack of funds, lack of patience, and inability of the squad to adapt to PLG's methods, were the reasons he didn't succeed there. He did very well with Rennes, and won three leagues in three seasons at OL.

When Celtic are winning their 5th title in a row in a few seasons, PLG will have rejuventaed PSG to the heights of the mid 90's, and Rangers fans will be thinking if only. What has Walter Smith done in his career? He won several SPL titles, but with one of the best ready made sides in Europe and one of the largest transfer budgets, while Celtic were no better than Hull with the likes of Wayne Biggins, and Owen Archdeacon. He got found out at Everton.