Sunday paper round up

Jimbo

TRANSFER RUMOURS

Former England captain David Beckham, who has insisted he will not leave Real Madrid in the new year transfer window, is free to talk to any club in the world on 1 January - and 15 have already made contact with his agents. (News of the World)

Liverpool are set to make a bid for Beckham on the back of the proposed takeover of the Anfield club by Dubai International Capital. (The People)

Real Madrid sporting director Predrag Mijatovic wants to talk to Beckham about his plans. (Mail on Sunday)

Manchester United are prepared to take a £20m gamble on Bayern Munich midfielder Owen Hargreaves by signing him in January before he has recovered from a broken leg. (Sunday Mirror)

Watford are plotting to hijack Wigan's £3m move for West Brom striker Nathan Ellington. (Sunday Mirror)

Newcastle are set to make a £6m bid for Everton striker James Beattie. (News of the World)

Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho will not let on-loan defender Glen Johnson stay at Portsmouth beyond the end of the season. (News of the World)

Bolton boss Sam Allardyce wants his friend and Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson to loan him Alan Smith, who can play in midfield or as a striker. (The People)

Rangers, Aston Villa and Manchester City are tracking Bolton forward Kevin Davies. (News of the World)

Manchester United winger Kieran Richardson insists he will not be leaving the club in January. (Sunday Mirror)

Portsmouth will swoop for Old Trafford star Richardson on a six-month loan deal. (News of the World)

Charlton striker Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink is top of Sheffield United's wanted list. (Various)

Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger has no money to spend in the January transfer window as the Gunners push for a Champions League place. (Mail on Sunday)

Arsenal's teenage striker Nicklas Bendtner has caused such a stir on loan at Birmingham that he has attracted the interesting of some top Italian sides, including AC Milan, (Sunday Express)

Defender Matthew Upson, who has been linked to Newcastle, Tottenham and Liverpool, will spark a £6m bidding war this week by snubbing a new Birmingham contract. (News of the World)

Fulham are closing in on £1.5m Swedish defender Per Nilsson, who plays for Norwegian club Odd Grenland. (Sunday Mirror)

Middlesbrough ran another check on Preston striker David Nugent in Saturday's match at Sunderland. (Sunday Mirror)

Sheffield United are willing to break their transfer record to sign Nugent for £5m. (News of the World)

Charlton winger Dennis Rommedahl is a £1m target for FC Copenhagen - even though he would be available on a free transfer in July. (Various)

Watford will make a £3.5m swoop for Fulham forward Collins John. (News of the World)

Newcastle and West Ham are attempting to scupper Liverpool's hopes of landing Blackburn defender Lucas Neill. (News of the World)

Manchester City are eyeing Twente Enschede's Congo striker Blaise N'Kufo and Birmingham midfielder David Dunn. (Sunday Mirror)

Valencia will only let star striker David Villa go to Liverpool if they get Anfield keeper Jose Reina as part of the deal. (The People)

Reading want to sign American international winger Eddie Johnson, who plays for Kansas City Wizards, on a six-month loan deal. (News of the World)

Tottenham have beaten Chelsea and Arsenal in the race to sign Racing Lens midfielder Adel Taarabt, 17. (Sunday Express)

Nottingham Forest want to sign midfielder Marc Bircham, who has also been linked to Plymouth and Leeds, from QPR. (News of the World)

Leeds boss Dennis Wise wants to sign former Chelsea team-mate Tore Andre Flo, who is now a free agent after a spell as a striker in Italy. (News of the World)

Southampton will resist the temptation to sell teenage defender Gareth Bale in January. (Mail on Sunday)

Bale will agree to join Manchester United - because the Old Trafford outfit will allow the 17-year-old to stay on loan at St Mary's for the next 18 months. (The Football Paper/Non-League Review)

OTHER GOSSIP

Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho has hit out at his side and questioned his own ability after the Blues fell six points behind Manchester United in the Premiership title race. (Various)

Charlton boss Alan Pardew will tempt West Ham striker Teddy Sheringham to join him at The Valley by offering him a coaching job. (The People)

Pardew is poised to bring in former Colchester and Hull boss Phil Parkinson as his assistant at Charlton. (Sunday Mirror)

Chelsea captain John Terry hopes to return to action in the Carling Cup semi-final against Wycombe on 10 January following a back operation. (Various)

Manchester United legend Sir Bobby Charlton has backed Old Trafford winger Cristiano Ronaldo to become footballer of the year in 2007. (News of the World)

AND FINALLY...

West Ham striker Bobby Zamora treated himself to a rooftop jacuzzi for Christmas. (The People)

Newcastle and England striker Michael Owen will treat wife Louise to a two-night stay in an exclusive £100,000 tree house in the grounds of a hotel just outside Chester. (Sunday Express)

Beattie, Upson & Neill would be bloody good signings IMO.

However, quite why the last bit is 'news/gossip' is totally beyond me - so they're staying in a hotel for New Year?? Are the Express bored or something or are they simply all out of Diana conspiracy stories? <_<

Wouldn't be impressed with Beattie. Never been a big fan. His attitude has been brought up a few times and he's being kept out of the Everton side by a kid apparently. £6 million is about £2 million too much for him, especially if everton want rid.

I wouldnt bid more than 2M for either Beattie or Upson.

Neill would be great though, I think Hughes admitted he might think about selling him in a recent interview. His contract is up in the summer isnt it?

Edited by aimaad22

I disagree re: Beattie.

Ashton aside, I think he's the nearest type of player currently in the Premiership to Shearer. I think we need that type of player as the perfect foil to either Owen or Martins.

I don't think he works well in Everton's 'system' - everything has been structured around Andy Johnson, Beattie is still a quality player and CAN do a job for us.

Ashton would be my first choice but:

1. His injury is taking longer to heal than expected and therefore isn't going to be match fit for quite some time

2. West Ham are never going to sell him this side of the summer.

That said, if they go down he may have a clause in his contract allowing him to move on - at that point, I'd be fucking fuming if we didn't go for him if we don't get someone else in the interim.

I disagree re: Beattie.

Ashton aside, I think he's the nearest type of player currently in the Premiership to Shearer. I think we need that type of player as the perfect foil to either Owen or Martins.

I don't think he works well in Everton's 'system' - everything has been structured around Andy Johnson, Beattie is still a quality player and CAN do a job for us.

Ashton would be my first choice but:

1. His injury is taking longer to heal than expected and therefore isn't going to be match fit for quite some time

2. West Ham are never going to sell him this side of the summer.

That said, if they go down he may have a clause in his contract allowing him to move on - at that point, I'd be fucking fuming if we didn't go for him if we don't get someone else in the interim.

He's done nothing of note since is wonder season nigh on 3 years ago.

He was shite for Everton before Johnson turned up and he was the main man for them. His attitude was questioned then and it was questioned when he was at Southampton as he had the "Billy Big-Bollocks" attiude but wasn't turning in the performances. £6 million for a player who can "do a job? I thought we were looking to spend sensibly. He had the chance to become a very good player but he's rested on his laurels. If Moyes couldn't get the best out of him and motivate him I don't see why our set up or the fat wage packet he'd undoubtably get would be able to change his mind.

I think he'd perform better in our setup than how Everton have tried to use him.

I seem to remember a certain Mr Bellamy being rather average at Coventry City and Sir Bob's sanity being questioned when we forked out £6m for him.

Ashton would be my first choice and if we could guarantee getting him in the summer then a 6 month loan signing would suit me for the remainder of this campaign.

Who would you prefer we went for if it's not Beattie?

I think he'd perform better in our setup than how Everton have tried to use him.

I seem to remember a certain Mr Bellamy being rather average at Coventry City and Sir Bob's sanity being questioned when we forked out £6m for him.

Ashton would be my first choice and if we could guarantee getting him in the summer then a 6 month loan signing would suit me for the remainder of this campaign.

Who would you prefer we went for if it's not Beattie?

Totally different situation.

The key difference is that Bellamy was a young hungry striker who was playing out of position at Coventry and making a step up. I can't see how we would use him any differently either, as a target man to get knockdowns and hold the ball up.

As for who we would get instead I'm not so sure. I can't see anyone letting goe of players that are good enough quality. This is themajor problem with trying to do your business mid-season (incedently this is when Beattie was signed for Everton). Doesn't mean we should go and spunk a large wad of cash on a sub-par player just so we have bodies in the door. It'd probably be better to perservere with Sib upfront until the end of the season and re-evaluate then if there's no one up for sale. Maybe then players will become available at better prices. Ashton will have had some first team football. If Preston don't go up Nugent maybe available, if he'd be available now i'd take him (young and hungry, much more comparable to the bellamy situation than Beattie). Not forgetting this striker that comes in will likely be a rotation player. or we're going to have a £10 million pound striker permanently on the bench when Owen comes back.

Newcastle and England striker Michael Owen will treat wife Louise to a two-night stay in an exclusive £100,000 tree house in the grounds of a hotel just outside Chester. (Sunday Express)

Owen clearly taking this secret squirrel business a step too far.

I'd take Beattie for £3m MAX, £6m is crazy money for who is in effect a one season wonder.

Sadly we're in a situation where our rival clubs know only too well that we're desperate for personnel and therefore they're bound to command higher transfer fees for their players <_<

I agree Beattie is worth between £3-4m but then the truth value of a player is the amount a club will sell him for.

Interesting to see Liverpool being linked with Becks - can't see that one happening myself...

Guest Patrokles

Valencia will only let star striker David Villa go to Liverpool if they get Anfield keeper Jose Reina as part of the deal. (The People)

'Alright, you can have one of the best strikers in the world, BUT ON ONE CONDITION...'

'What's that?'

'We want Reina as part of the deal.'

'... seriously? Let me think about it.' *muffled laughter* 'well, okay, I guess. But you're really twisting my arm.'

'Alright, you can have one of the best strikers in the world, BUT ON ONE CONDITION...'

'What's that?'

'... seriously? Let me think about it.' *muffled laughter* 'well, okay, I guess. But you're really twisting my arm.'

akin to us swapping Bramble for Ronaldinho don't you think? <_<

Guest Patrokles

'What's that?'

akin to us swapping Bramble for Ronaldinho don't you think? :razz:

Careful, you'll set tongues wagging on N-O. <_<

'What's that?'

akin to us swapping Bramble for Ronaldinho don't you think? :D

Careful, you'll set tongues wagging on N-O. :razz:

Surely even they wouldn't bite on that one? <_<

None of those get my trousers tenting to be fair.

Beattie (as has been discussed) is a one season wonder, there are better players out there, with a better attitude and a hunger to improve. I'd rather take Nugent, or play a counter-attacking/passing game for the pacey Martins, Dyer and Owen?

£6m is massivley over-pricing a guy who simply isn't good enough for us.

Do we really want Everton's cast offs? They're not selling him because he's attracting big money, they're selling him because he's not good enough for them.

I'd prefer Crouch to Beattie iih, but they're both over-priced... so I'd rather we either stuck it out til the summer and tried to sign Nugent, or increase the amount we're willing to spend on a striker.

Sort out the defense during Xmas, maybe get a striker on loan, then in the summer go for a more expensive (but better quality) striker.

Guest Patrokles

I'm always a bit dubious about dismissing people like Beattie as one-season wonders in the premiership then extolling the virtues of a championship player. Don't forget how good Chopra looks in the second-tier.

I'm always a bit dubious about dismissing people like Beattie as one-season wonders in the premiership then extolling the virtues of a championship player. Don't forget how good Chopra looks in the second-tier.

fair point, but I'd rather spend money on someone who is young and has potential, rather than on a player who seems to have been substituted by an "alright" 18yr old.

Guest Patrokles

fair point, but I'd rather spend money on someone who is young and has potential, rather than on a player who seems to have been substituted by an "alright" 18yr old.

Yeah, Anichebe is a bit iffy. Which makes it even more depressing that he scored twice against us. <_<

and Rasiak who is second in the scoring charts with 15 league goals!

Beattie (as has been discussed) is a one season wonder, there are better players out there, with a better attitude and a hunger to improve. I'd rather take Nugent, or play a counter-attacking/passing game for the pacey Martins, Dyer and Owen?

Do we really want Everton's cast offs? They're not selling him because he's attracting big money, they're selling him because he's not good enough for them.

I'd prefer Crouch to Beattie iih, but they're both over-priced... so I'd rather we either stuck it out til the summer and tried to sign Nugent, or increase the amount we're willing to spend on a striker.

Sort out the defense during Xmas, maybe get a striker on loan, then in the summer go for a more expensive (but better quality) striker.

Sounds exactly like the reasons they flogged Gary Speed to us! <_<

Guest Patrokles

Sounds exactly like the reasons they flogged Gary Speed to us! <_<

Or Crouch to Southampton, Upson to Birmingham, Tomasson, Saha, etc.