Shepherd: I don't decide signings

Andrew

Newcastle chairman Freddy Shepherd insists he has no influence over who the club sign.

It has been suggested that Shepherd makes the decisions on who the club signs and not the manager Glenn Roeder.

Shepherd has promised to make funds available to Roeder to bolster his injury-hit squad in January and Shepherd is adamant Roeder has the final say on who comes into the club.

"I don't interfere with transfers and it is ludicrous to suggest that I bring in the players or make signings without the manager being involved," Shepherd said in the News of the World.

"There is no way I have ever said to a manager 'There is Mr X - you have got him whether you like him or not'.

"It would be madness for anyone to do that. I know that they do that on the continent, but it wouldn't work in English football.

"I don't get involved in team selection and I don't hang around the training ground. That's not what I am paid for

"We have spent £250 million on players since I have been on the board, so no one can ever accuse us of not backing managers."

Okay then :(

I'm sure I've read quotes from Bobby saying...well ...pretty much the opposite..

and seeing as how Sir Robson isn't a member of the Hutt family; a Galatically renowned crime family, I'm more inclined to believe him.

I reckon he instigated Woodgate's departure, Speed'ss departure, Clark's signature, Duff's signature.. off the top of my head