Sunday's football gossip

Scottish Mag

TRANSFER RUMOURS

Newcastle are considering an audacious bid to land Chelsea striker Andriy Shevchenko on a five-month loan deal. (News of the World)

David Beckham will not be buying American outfit LA Galaxy but is expected to consider offers from Major League Soccer sides in the summer. (Mail on Sunday)

Bolton boss Sam Allardyce is planning a double swoop for Everton's James Beattie and Deportivo La Coruna Aldo Duscher. (Sunday Express, Star on Sunday)

Chelsea midfielder Lassana Diarra is set to end his nightmare at Stamford Bridge with a move to Marseille. (News of the World, Star on Sunday)

Newcastle are prepared to James Milner and Steve Carr in part-exchange for £10m-rated Charlton striker Darren Bent. (Mail on Sunday, Star on Sunday)

Tottenham are planning a January swoop for Manchester City defender Sylvain Distin. (Star on Sunday)

Birmingham defender Matthew Upson has put Liverpool, Tottenham and Portsmouth on alert by revealing he could be sold next month. (News of the World, People)

Sheffield United are leading the chase for Lillestrom striker Michael Mifsud. (News of the World)

Charlton boss Les Reed is bidding to make Gillingham starlet Matthew Jarvis his first signing. (People, Star on Sunday)

Manchester United will recall young striker Giuseppe Rossi next month from his loan spell at Newcastle. (Sunday Telegraph)

Watford boss Adrian Boothroyd wants to sign five players in January to beat the drop. (News of the World)

Arsenal are planning a shock swoop for out-of-favour Chelsea defender Glen Johnson. (People, Star on Sunday)

Chelsea are lining up a £5m move for Valencia defender Miguel in the January transfer window. (News of the World, Star on Sunday)

Portsmouth are interested in signing Aston Villa midfielder Lee Hendrie. (People)

Sheffield United boss Neil Warnock wants to sign Egyptian duo Amr Zaki and Ibrahim Said. (News of the World)

Wigan boss Paul Jewell is chasing Lens £2.5m-rated midfielder Seydou Keita. (People)

Aston Villa boss Martin O'Neill is lining up a bid for Portsmouth right-back Andy Griffin. (News of the World)

Liverpool look set to win the race against Everton and Middlesbrough to sign Derby midfielder Giles Barnes. (various)

Middlesbrough midfielder Gaizka Mendieta is set to join Malaga in the January transfer window. (People)

Cardiff City want Celtic midfielder Stephen Pearson to boost their promotion push. (Star on Sunday)

OTHER GOSSIP

Arsene Wenger's rift with striker Thierry Henry, following a training ground bust-up on Friday, is widening with the two set for showdown talks on Monday. (various)

Arsenal striker Julio Baptista issues manager Arsene Wenger with a 'play me or else' ultimatum. (News of the World, Sunday Times)

Bayern Munich have threatened to withdraw from the G14 coalition of elite European clubs as early as next season. (Sunday Telegraph)

Liverpool are close to agreeing a £450m takeover deal with the former owner of the Harlem Globetrotters, George Gillett. (News of the World)

Liverpool are on the verge of falling into foreign ownership but have rejected Gillett's £450m bid. (Mail on Sunday, Sunday Telegraph)

Newspaper probe reveals shock details about who is really in charge at Portsmouth, claiming that Russian businessman Alexandre Gaydamak has not completed his £32m takeover and Milan Mandaric still owns a 50% stake in the club. (News of the World)

AND FINALLY...

Manchester United new signing Henrik Larsson will bank £1m for just 10 weeks' work if he is a success at Old Trafford. (Sunday Express, Mail on Sunday)

Actor Sean Bean has shown why he is such an avid Sheffield United fan by writing a whopping 1,200-word foreword for a new book about the Blades. (Sunday Express)

Aston Villa boss Martin O'Neill was recently spotted at a 70th birthday bash for former Rolling Stone Bill Wyman. (Sunday Express)

Newcastle United have asked Charlton to let them know if they decide to sell Darren Bent in January and are prepared to offer James Milner and Steve Carr in part-exchange.

St James’ Park manager Glenn Roeder has made £10 million-rated Bent his priority with Michael Owen and Shola Ameobi set to miss the majority of the season and Albert Luque getting ready to return to Spain on loan.

Chairman Freddy Shepherd is reluctant to spend another large sum after investing more than £40m on Owen, Luque, Damien Duff and Obafemi Martins in the last 18 months. Bottom club Charlton are reluctant to sell Bent in the transfer window if they feel they have a chance of staying in the Premiership but know he wants to move to a bigger club.

Roeder is also keeping tabs on Bolton striker Kevin Davies. Talks over a new three-year deal have stalled, with manager Sam Allardyce refusing to get anywhere near Davies’ request to be paid £30,000 a week.

Bolton have resurrected Davies’ career but the player does not want to be taken for granted.

Newcastle are prepared to James Milner and Steve Carr in part-exchange for £10m-rated Charlton striker Darren Bent. (Mail on Sunday, Star on Sunday)

We still seem hell bent of getting rid of Milner. It's OK bringing in a decent striker but if it's at the expense of one of the few players who has delivered the ball this season then it seems a bit pointless.

Manchester United will recall young striker Giuseppe Rossi next month from his loan spell at Newcastle. (Sunday Telegraph)

Hardly surprising - personally I think we've messed both the player and his club around. We were desperate for a striker, they had one they desperately wanted to gain experience and all he's done is largely warm our bench. Can't see Man Utd being that willing to do business (to our advantage) with us again in the future.

Beattie is an interesting one. I hear a rumour a couple of weeks back that he's unsettled at Goodison and wants to move on with Newcastle predictably being touted as his likely destination.

Don't know if he's the right player, but IMO we definitely need someone of his physique. Martins and Owen are similar builds and similar types of player - I can't for the life of me see them working well together.

Ashton would be by first choice but I don't think Beattie would be a bad fall-back option.

Beattie!!! WHY??? He had 1 good season eons ago. May as well buy phillips tbh. I watched him for everton a few weeks ago and he was woeful!

We could always go for Chris Sutton! :(

Hardly surprising - personally I think we've messed both the player and his club around. We were desperate for a striker, they had one they desperately wanted to gain experience and all he's done is largely warm our bench. Can't see Man Utd being that willing to do business (to our advantage) with us again in the future.

Would've been a different story if they had allowed him to play in the UEFA tbh, plus he hasn't been in the squad the last couple of games (iirc he's been i Italy)...

Fair enough that ManU want Rossi back. It just didn't work out from their perspective. I'm not sure what to make out of the thing from our side tbh.

If you look at the Man U striker situation (they're not quite at Newcastles point, but Fergerson believes in that fancy dan planning and foresight malarky), THAT is why they want him back (although frankly he'd have been going back in Jan no matter what, good/bad or played/not played IMO).

Beattie is an interesting one. I hear a rumour a couple of weeks back that he's unsettled at Goodison and wants to move on with Newcastle predictably being touted as his likely destination.

Don't know if he's the right player, but IMO we definitely need someone of his physique. Martins and Owen are similar builds and similar types of player - I can't for the life of me see them working well together.

Ashton would be by first choice but I don't think Beattie would be a bad fall-back option.

My thoughts exactly. Ashton would be my first choice too, but that is complicated by his injury (how far is he from come-back?) and West Ham's recent take-over.

I'd be happy with Bent or Beattie coming here in January, although if we could get Nugent for half the price that would be better value.

Exxxxxxxactly!

PNE won't sell in January though I'm afraid.