Rob W

After 15 games the total points for the top 2 clubs:-

1992-93 = 56

1998-99 = 59

2004-2005 = 67

2005-2006 = 70

2006-2007 = 73

Its that bugger Morinho

The rest of the league is getting shitter tbh.

Said it on N-O, I think it's the opposite. There's a group of 7-8 clubs all of a similar standard, and capable of beating Arsenal & Liverpool on any given day. As a result, they're all taking points off each other, meaning Man U & Chelsea pull away, and the rest are closer together.

The rest of the league is getting shitter tbh.

Said it on N-O, I think it's the opposite. There's a group of 7-8 clubs all of a similar standard, and capable of beating Arsenal & Liverpool on any given day. As a result, they're all taking points off each other, meaning Man U & Chelsea pull away, and the rest are closer together.

Only because Arsenal have no captain and no spine and are easily out fought (because they got rid of Campbell and more importantly Viera) and because Rafa hasn't got a clue what his best team is.

The standard of those 7-8 clubs hasn't improved at all.

Still going to disagree. :)

More mid-table sides have the capability to make big-name buys. When else in Premiership history would you get Blackburn buying the captain of Holland (Ooijer), Wigan signing a Dutch regular (Landzaat), Bolton splashing out £8m for a French international, Spurs having £15m of strikers on the bench every week, etc?

More mid-table sides have the capability to make big-name buys. When else in Premiership history would you get Blackburn buying the captain of Holland (Ooijer), Wigan signing a Dutch regular (Landzaat), Bolton splashing out £8m for a French international, Spurs having £15m of strikers on the bench every week, etc?

That just shows the hyper inflation surrounding football. And Holland aren't the force they were. And johnny Metgod springs to mind.

Edited by Kevin Carr's Gloves

This all down to money though surely. English clubs can afford bigger transfer fees and more on wages than teams from other country's. This doesn't mean the standard of football is any better just that we have more foreign players here.

On a slightly related note, I heard on Radio 5 that Terry Venables was saying there are only about 80 English players playing in the Premier League now (sounds low to me like) and that, because you can immediately discount about half of those as definitely not being good enough to play for England or not being ready etc. the England manager only has a pool of around 40 players to choose from at present.

On a slightly related note, I heard on Radio 5 that Terry Venables was saying there are only about 80 English players playing in the Premier League now (sounds low to me like) and that, because you can immediately discount about half of those as definitely not being good enough to play for England or not being ready etc. the England manager only has a pool of around 40 players to choose from at present.

When McClaren demonstrates an ability to discern the good English players from the shit ones (i.e. he stops givine the likes of Jenas, Downing and Kieron Richardson a perma-place in the squad), that might become a valid excuse. Until then, cockney boy can shut it!

If there were 160 English players playing in the Premier League now, he would still only have a pool of around 40 players to choose from, because the other 120 wouldn't be any better.

I've been looking back and for the last 6 years its been pretty close until around match 10 or 12 - then a couple of teams just pull away from the rest

Ooijer has been utter tripe from what I've seen and has been the cause for a shit-load of Blackburns conceded goals.

Arsenal, Liverpool, ourselves, ManUtd and Chelsea haven't been playing anywhere close to the standards that those teams have set for them selves over the last 6+ seasons. Chelsea were incredible for the last couple of seasons, winning games regularly 4-0, but accomidating big money signings(Essien, Shevchenko and Ballack) has left them struggling to rediscover their form. ManU have been in a slump since Keane's demise and departure, Liverpool are fucking weird, and as someone pointed out, Arsenal have no spine. Teams like Tottenham aren't playing to the standards of even last year, and shitty(but organised) Bolton are flying high.

The league, whilst still entertaining, has gotten of a lower standard.

I mean, Fulham ffs.

I'm of the opinion that the mid-lower table sides have given up trying to play attacking football and latched onto the idea that the only way to get points from the bigger clubs is to go and defend for ninety minutes.

not saying that's a bad or stupid thing. It's just dull.

Far too many clubs are terrified of the drop to the point they'd rather sit with a defensive 451 and hope ti nick something from a set play or breakaway.

This is now the case when Everton play Bolton, instead of Wigan Vs Chelsea away.

Wouldn't say the league was harder, just more negative.

Along these sort of lines....

Top goalscorers. When Andy Cole was here and Al was at Blackburn, both were scoring 34ish goals per season.

Steadily, since then the amount of goals scored have dropped to around 20ish(+).

Better defence? Better teams? Poorer strikers? Better tactics?

What's the opinions on this?

Better defending (bar Newcastle)

"Better" or simply more "emphasis on"?

I'd obviously concede less goals are being scored, but I wouldn't say that suddenly strikers have lost their shooting boots, but I doubt that defenders have suddenly improved ten fold

aye 3 at the back and a sweeper in front has stopped a lot but we seem to be in one of those periods when wingers either aren't used (possibly because they can't track back and fill the mid field) or there aren't any

Interesting that Reading are doing well playing one or two wingers and getting quick ball across from the line