Martins.

menace13

Lots of added time for Pompey's timewasting before we scored.

Oba 'the leap' Martins. Crikey, he can't half jump high for a 28 year old.

:D He's getting better. I'd just like to see him get the ball on target a bit more often.

If you go back a while - to the time before we signed Martins - you will see a certain Snakehips had misgivings about signing him due to the amount of chances he missed!

Keep up, everyone. I lead, you follow :nufc::D

:calmdown:

Martins had an very good game imo as already mentioned he did everything but score (actually he did but the linesman incorrectly gave him offside). On another day he could have had three. His shooting needs to improve but he got really involved and looked better up top with the Sib.n He needs that little bit of luck to build confidence and then he'll do well imo

Edited by TOPTOON

Shearer's analysis of him on MOTD was spot on. Total lack of movement or anticipation most of the time. We could do with getting Shearer or Owen to have a word with him.

I would have though that birthday boy Roberto Mancini would have at some point.

Shearer's analysis of him on MOTD was spot on. Total lack of movement or anticipation most of the time. We could do with getting Shearer or Owen to have a word with him.

I wonder how many a fully fit Owen would have scored yesterday.

We were cutting them apart at times and really should have scored a bucket full.

But the main difference in the team is Dyer by a mile. The Dyer haters can continue to hate him all they like but just watch the team with him and without and there is no comparison, nearly everything good we did involved him and if he stays fit he'll see us climbing up the table, because lets be honest the prem is now utter dogshite when you consider what position that Portsmouth team currently occupy!

absolutely. he'd be an england regular if he wasn't such a sicknote.

Defintely, he's got all the attributes to be a top striker if advised correctly. Lets just hope he's got half a brain, unlike shola who obviously learned S.F.A from all them years alongside big Al, Kluivert etc

Yeh, he could do with sitting on his own doing nothing but studying Owen's movement. Its absolutely superb.

Exactly, so all he really needs is some good coaching to take what he has got and make him into a top player...and if NUFC stands for anything its world class coaching!!! :calmdown:

Seriously though, whether it be Shearer, Owen or somebody else they should take what Shearer said and get it worked on every day in training.

Edited by Papa Lazaru

The movement of a world class goalscorer is instinctive and natural.

Being world class at it does require some inate sixth sense of where to be and when and a world class striker will have finishing skills better than anyone.

But if you put the time and effort in you can change the way somebody plays, all they are asking him to do is run to the far post or near post in an angled run instead of slowly moving in a predictable straight line. And asking him to gamble on the chance happening. Footballers aren't exactly intellectuals but do you honestly think you can't teach Martins to run to the near or far post and beat defenders to the ball!!!

The movement of a world class goalscorer is instinctive and natural.

Being world class at it does require some inate sixth sense of where to be and when and a world class striker will have finishing skills better than anyone.

But if you put the time and effort in you can change the way somebody plays, all they are asking him to do is run to the far post or near post in an angled run instead of slowly moving in a predictable straight line. And asking him to gamble on the chance happening. Footballers aren't exactly intellectuals but do you honestly think you can't teach Martins to run to the near or far post and beat defenders to the ball!!!

Exactly, the main word is "movement" - something he isn't showing to the required standard so far.

anyone reckon owen and martins could play together with dyer roaming around in a free role?

it's a three-pronged attacks go it's a bit short arsed but there's plenty of pace about it

I think the way that Martins was able to out-jump Melchiot and feed Dyer on sunday was very promising for Owen's return.

Its his movement that isnt adapted to the english game yet. When Dyer or Zoggy pick the ball up and run at opposing defences, his movement is too direct outside the box.

I think it was clear that he should have been making some gambles on sunday when in the box as he could have gone near post 50% of the time and he would have picked up chances. That is more easily taught. Its the movement in the last third that needs sorting too though.

I think the way that Martins was able to out-jump Melchiot and feed Dyer on sunday was very promising for Owen's return.

Its his movement that isnt adapted to the english game yet. When Dyer or Zoggy pick the ball up and run at opposing defences, his movement is too direct outside the box.

I think it was clear that he should have been making some gambles on sunday when in the box as he could have gone near post 50% of the time and he would have picked up chances. That is more easily taught. Its the movement in the last third that needs sorting too though.

Campbell? Or Primus?

You must mean Primus... dreadlocks like Melchiot.

Campbell? Or Primus?

You must mean Primus... dreadlocks like Melchiot.

Aye him.

I have mentioned time and time again that a left footed forward's starting position should be on the right and not on the left. GR is too stupid or deluded to see this.

Running onto things from the right means he can have a shot or shield the ball without having to re-adjust or cut back onto the left....Soemting he is trying to do time and time again either losing the ball or losing tempo.