Nicky is key for United

Scottish Mag

Glenn Roeder is confident that Nicky Butt's Gallowgate rehabilitation is complete after insisting that a player who appeared to have burnt his bridges at St James's Park has become crucial in Newcastle's bid to salvage their season.

The former England midfielder was told he had no future in the North-East when he was dispatched to Birmingham on a long-term loan deal by Graeme Souness 15 months ago but, with the hapless Scot having since been sacked, Butt has been handed a chance to revive his United career.

Although Shay Given and Kieron Dyer took all the plaudits for their excellent performances in the 1-1 draw at Arsenal that has restored shattered confidence, an appreciative Roeder was keen to pinpoint the efforts of Butt as vital to his team's encouraging weekend result.

The 31-year-old was barracked by a section of Newcastle fans upon his return from St Andrew's. But his manager believes that Butt has finally been forgiven for past indiscretions in a black-and-white shirt as a result of his determined displays in recent weeks.

"The performance at Arsenal was perhaps best epitomised by a block by Nicky Butt in the first half that was absolutely magnificent," said Roeder (pictured right), who surprised the former Old Trafford favourite in April when he told him he would be given a second chance in the North-East. "If I was going to use video evidence to show young players how to come out and block a shot on the edge of their own area, that would be a great example.

"He has done ever so well for us. When you work with Nicky Butt every day, you realise very quickly why he played for Manchester United and why he won so many medals. He is in his 30s now but he never goes back in after the main training session, he always stays out there and does extra work. He's a great example to our young players and to any young player. I think that our supporters are starting to see his value now, thankfully."

It has not always been the case. Butt endured a difficult debut campaign at St James's Park that culminated in an insensitive response to a 4-1 defeat at the hands of Manchester United in an FA Cup semi-final at Cardiff last year. His refusal to applaud Newcastle's supporters at the final whistle caused great anger amongst the black-and-white ranks and, when Souness told Butt that he was not part of his plans, there were few tears shed.

The wounds remained raw and, when the midfielder was booed by his own fans during a pre-season friendly against PSV Eindhoven in August, atonement appeared a forlorn hope. Yet some committed performances - most notably during backs-to-the-wall trips to Arsenal and Palermo - have helped him to win over even his fiercest critics.

"From what I know of him, he would never intentionally upset our supporters," said Roeder. "He is such a good professional that he will show complete and utter loyalty to whatever shirt he is wearing.

"On that day (in April 2005) he was playing against people he had grown up with, it was a bad defeat and what happened next was badly misinterpreted. It has taken a long time for our supporters to realise what he is about and I would like to think we can draw a line under it. I have a lot of time for him.

"If you had a squad of 20 Nicky Butts, life would be a lot easier. The bottom line is that he loves playing football and I think that he has always wanted to play for Newcastle. I wasn't at the match where there were problems but having talked to the staff who were there, I think it was misunderstood."

Butt's experience will be vital to United's hopes of reviving a troubled Premiership campaign and, although Emre will return from suspension for Thursday's Uefa Cup game against Celta Vigo, it would be a major surprise if the most-decorated player in Roeder's squad were to lose his place.

"He holds us together, he links the back four and midfield together, he knows when to press and when to get tight and he gives whoever he is playing alongside licence to get forward," he added. "He is like an old warrior who has come out of the Alex Ferguson school.

"When you saw the Manchester United players in the England camp, you knew who their manager was because of the way they conducted themselves. They acted how you would want professionals to act. He has been there and done it and I'm absolutely delighted with him."

If were playing the likes of Martins, Dyer, N'Zogbia and Duff or Nobby, I don't see a problem with playing Parker and Butt in central midfield. That's probably the best solution all round at the moment. Not ideal obviously.

He's a good player...

I reckon if Shearer had left us say in 2000 and ended up playing against us, he'd have done exactly the same to our fans ;)

He did it before he signed in a way. Look at the way when he's "charging down" Hottiger's free-kick at Ewood he pulls his leg out of the way of the ball last second. :lol:

He's a good player...

I reckon if Shearer had left us say in 2000 and ended up playing against us, he'd have done exactly the same to our fans ;)

Nonsense. It was not what he had done to the manc fans, but his (non-)performance and the behaviour to the fans of the team he was now playing for that did upset people.

I find the whole "we demand to be applauded" thing from our fans a bit pathetic tbh. It's all a bit precious. It's a nice gesture when the players do it if we've taken a hiding, but I can genuinely understand Butt wanting to get off the pitch asap having just been humiliated by his former colleagues.

I find the whole "we demand to be applauded" thing from our fans a bit pathetic tbh. It's all a bit precious. It's a nice gesture when the players do it if we've taken a hiding, but I can genuinely understand Butt wanting to get off the pitch asap having just been humiliated by his former colleagues.

I think it was rather the icing on the cake after he turned out to be the best ManU player in the 90 minutes before.

I thought I'd find it impossible to forgive him after that performance but given the circumstances at the moment if he can show he's the most effective performer in his position then he's in the team as far as I'm concerned. We dont have the luxury of being able to hold grudges.

All is forgiven as far as i'm concerned. He was shockingly bad that day, both football wise and attitude wise, but if we can gloss over Dyer having a fight on the pitch then I think we can get over this!