Glenn's got no defence

Scottish Mag

NEWCASTLE boss Glenn Roeder faces a defensive crisis ahead of Saturday’s crucial visit to Arsenal.

Struggling Toon have just THREE fit defenders for their first visit to the Emirates Stadium.

Celestine Babayaro has now been ruled out for around three weeks with a groin problem while Olivier Bernard has also suffered a setback.

The French summer signing has picked up a hip injury while trying to regain his full fitness and looks set to be a long-term absentee.

Titus Bramble (back) and Stephen Carr (toe) have also been sidelined recently meaning Roeder’s options are limited.

That leaves him with just Peter Ramage, Steven Taylor and Craig Moore as the only three defenders with a clean bill of health.

Boss Roeder said: “We will have to do without Babayaro for the next two or three weeks after he hurt his groin during extra time at Watford last Tuesday night.

“Babayaro has been one of our most consistent players recently but he just cannot seem to retain his fitness and have a long run in our back four.

“And Bernard has a hip injury. We cannot put a time on how long he will be out.”

Turkish midfielder Emre is also suspended for the Arsenal trip after five bookings.

Roeder had hoped his injury problems were beginning to clear up with Kieron Dyer, Obafemi Martins and Shay Given back in the frame.

But the latest setbacks will not help his chances of lifting his side out of the bottom three.

Meanwhile, Newcastle are puzzled by reports that Barcelona are targeting misfit striker Albert Luque.

The 28-year-old, a £9.5million signing from Deportivo La Coruna, has endured a nightmare 14 months on Tyneside.

Even in a striking crisis, Luque could not make the bench for Saturday’s goalless draw at Manchester City.

Newcastle insist there has been no contact from any club, however there would be no surprise if Luque was offloaded in January.

Luque said: “If I can help Barcelona, then perfect. They know what I can offer and to be able to help Barca would be brilliant for me.”

French club Bordeaux also say they asked Newcastle about Luque.

Chairman Jean-Louis Triaud said: “We asked for him last year but I don’t remember why the deal collapsed.

“If our coach Ricardo asks me to, I will see if it is still possible to make him come to Bordeaux.”

No problemo.

...............................................Given

...............Taylor...............Moore.........Ramage.........Duff

...........Solano...................Parker..........Dyer..................Zoggy

........................................Martins.........Rossi

Butt

Sibby

Bramble

Well Glenn PERHAPS IT WOULD HAVE BEEN A GOOD FUCKING IDEA TO BUY A COUPLE OF FUCKING DEFENDERS IN THE SUMMER YOU COMPLETE MORON.

BTW I see .com have Pav listed as a defender in the transfers section, do they know something we don't? ;)

You never know, we might just shock them again. Remember in the 99-00 season when a defence consisting of Karelse, Marcelino & Dumas got a 0-0 draw? Pretty sure we played 3-5-2 that day as well.

We played 5-3-2 which is a workable formation if you have a sweeper type player (Dumas) and want to be very defensive which on the day we were.

Had we actually played 3-5-2 we would have been an abject mess like we were every time we tried that formation with players who couln't and hadn't played it to any level.

You never know, we might just shock them again. Remember in the 99-00 season when a defence consisting of Karelse, Marcelino & Dumas got a 0-0 draw? Pretty sure we played 3-5-2 that day as well.

We played 5-3-2 which is a workable formation if you have a sweeper type player (Dumas) and want to be very defensive which on the day we were.

Had we actually played 3-5-2 we would have been an abject mess like we were every time we tried that formation with players who couln't and hadn't played it to any level.