Paul Winsper quits

Jimbo

Magpies rocked by Winsper quit blow

Nov 14 2006

By Alan Oliver, The Evening Chronicle

Newcastle United have lost another important member of their backroom staff with fitness coach Paul Winsper having decided to leave the club.

The former Durham County cricket fitness expert is the fourth member of Glenn Roeder's behind-the-scenes team to leave since the start of the season, following the departures of assistant manager Kevin Bond, reserve-team coach Tommy Craig and physiotherapist Paul Ferris, who is now training to become a barrister.

However, Roeder has acted quickly to fill the gap and he has promoted Adrian Lamb from the Academy to take Winsper's place.

The United boss told me today: "Paul Winsper has decided that he needed a change and wanted his career to go in a different direction, and he leaves with our best wishes.

"I have worked with Paul since I came back to the club first as Academy director and now manager, and he is one of the most professional people I have ever worked with. We are all sorry to see him go.

"But I have promoted Adrian Lamb from the Academy with immediate effect and he is someone who knows the players and someone with whom the players are very comfortable."

Winsper became disillusioned when he was virtually ignored by the previous management regime at St James' Park and I understand that this had a lot to do with his decision to leave the club.

And whatever may be wrong with United at the moment - and there is a lot - no-one in the game ever accuses them of not being fit.

This was clearly seen at Manchester City on Saturday when, despite playing their 22nd game of the season and after a midweek trip to Watford where they played extra time, United were still the stronger team in the last 15 minutes.

Adds Roeder: "The last 15 minutes at the City of Manchester stadium were testimony to Paul Winsper's work here, and I just wish our late burst had produced three points as a final thank you to him."

The first 75 minutes didn't say much for him like. GREAT to see another exprienced person leaving. That behind-the-scenes team spirit must be fantastic.

Winsper became disillusioned when he was virtually ignored by the previous management regime at St James' Park and I understand that this had a lot to do with his decision to leave the club.

So he left because Graeme, Dean and Alan ignored him nine months ago? What a piss poor excuse.

So he left because Graeme, Dean and Alan ignored him nine months ago? What a piss poor excuse.

:lol:

You have to laugh. That comment (not yours) makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

;)

And so another experienced member of staff leaves the club. At least we still have Lee Clark and Terry Mac.. :icon_lol:

:lol:;);)

Sorry, I just have to...

:icon_lol:

EDIT: WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE! :panic:

Sorry.

Edited by ObaGol

You have to laugh. That comment (not yours) makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

;)

Dunno, he could have made the decision to leave then and it's taken this long to sort things out. Maybe he gave things another go under Roeder then realised things are just as shit as ever. It's not very often you quit a job then walk into another the next day.

;)

Dunno, he could have made the decision to leave then and it's taken this long to sort things out. Maybe he gave things another go under Roeder then realised things are just as shit as ever. It's not very often you quit a job then walk into another the next day.

Well exactly, either way you'd have to say the reason he was leaving is because he was still unhappy under Roeder, whatever happened with Souness.

Still, should save a few quid, that's the important thing.

And so another experienced member of staff leaves the club. At least we still have Lee Clark and Terry Mac.. :lol:

I think before the season ends we will be down to just Roeder/Pearson plus Clarkie and Terry Mac. At which point Clark will be first team coach, reserve team coach, goalkeeping coach, chief scout and physio whilst Terry Mac will also see a massive increase in his resposibilities and duties when he takes on the role of picking the pre-match music on a saturday!